My Dog Drank Cooking Oil What Should I Do?
Cooking oil is a very common ingredient in our kitchens! Who doesn’t use a little oil now and then to cook up some great food? Cooking oil is commonly used for frying foods, add moisture and fat for baking, and even used homemade salad dressings! With the prevalence of cooking oil in our kitchens, it’s no wonder that dogs gain access to this cooking ingredient. But what happens if a dog drinks cooking oil?
Has your dog drunk some cooking oil? Are you worried the cooking oil will make your dog sick? If so, then you’ve come to the right place. We understand it can be scary when your dog drinks something he shouldn’t. For this reason, we’ve put together some information to help you and your dog with this situation.
In this article, we’ll take a look at cooking oil and whether or not it can make a dog sick. We’ll also share information on how to help your dog if he’s drunk some cooking oil. Let’s get started!
What is Cooking Oil?Check Price on Amazon
Cooking oil is a substance that’s been made from plant, animal, or synthetic fat. It’s used in everything from baking, frying, and other types of cooking. Cooking oil is also used as an ingredient in some recipes, such as cakes, salad dressings, and more.
There are many types of cooking oil (as noted above). Plant-based cooking oils are also made from a variety of plants, such as olive oil, canola oil, and others. Cooking oil has been around for thousands of years, too!
But what happens if a dog drinks cooking oil? Can cooking oil make a dog sick?
Cooking Oil & Dogs
Some cooking oils are safe for dogs, including olive & flax oils and others. However, some oils can cause an allergic reaction in dogs. For instance, soybean and corn oil can cause an allergic reaction in dogs sensitive to these ingredients. Peanut oil can cause stomachaches in dogs, while other types of oil (such as bacon grease) may contain a lot of salt and other ingredients that are unhealthy for dogs.
What’s more, dogs are very sensitive to too much fat in their diet. Too much fat, even cooking oil, can cause liver disease or even pancreatitis.
Symptoms of Cooking Oil Ingestion in Dogs
You may notice these symptoms if your dog has eaten cooking oil:
- Allergic Reaction
- Itchy, red, irritated skin
- Biting/licking (due to itchy skin)
- Breathing difficulties
Symptoms of Pancreatitis in DogsCheck Price on Amazon
You may notice these symptoms if your dog has drunk a lot of cooking oil:
- Abdominal pain
- Decreased appetite
- Severe depression
- Death (if this condition is left untreated)
What to Do if Your Dog Has Had Cooking Oil
If you notice any of the symptoms above, then call the vet immediately. This could be an emergency. Try to see how much oil your dog has ingested and give this information to the vet.
Your veterinarian will be the best person to provide you with guidance and advice on the next steps you need to take to help your dog!