My Dog Drank Hot Tub Water What Should I Do?
A hot tub is a great place to relax after a busy day. Sitting in hot water helps your mind and body relax while easing any muscle and joint aches you may have after working a long, hard day. What could be better? Some pet parents even allow their dogs to join them in the hot tub! But what happens if a dog drinks hot tub water?
Has your dog drunk hot tub water? Are you worried the hot tub water will make your dog sick? If so, then you’ve come to the right place. We understand it can be scary when your dog drinks something like this.
In this article, we’ve put together some information about hot tub water and whether it can make a dog sick. Let’s get started!
Is Hot Tub Water Safe for Dogs to Drink?Check Price on Amazon
The answer as to whether hot tub water is safe to drink depends on various factors. Basically, a hot tub is a container of hot water. Just like a pool, however, it’s essential to maintain the proper chemical balance in the water to ensure the water is clean. Not only that but the water must be monitored on a regular basis to make sure the water is clean and chemically balanced.
A hot tub where no chemicals are used is a huge problem.
Without the right chemicals in the water, organisms begin to live in hot water. The water becomes a living “soup,” filled with things that can make people and animals sick, even if they don’t drink the water.
A dog that drinks untreated hot tub water could become sick very quickly, even if he only drank a little bit of the water.
What Chemicals are Used in Hot Tub Water?
Here’s a quick overview of chemicals used to keep hot tub water clean:
- Hot tub sanitizer: works to kill bacteria
- pH increaser: is used when the pH of the water is too acidic
- pH decreaser: is used when the pH of the water is too alkaline
Hot tub sanitizers can include chlorine, which acts quickly and effectively to kill organisms in the water. Bromine is another common chemical used to clean hot tub water. This chemical is used to help people who have sensitive skin. Bromine doesn’t act as quickly to kill organisms.Check Price on Amazon
Another common chemical used in hot tub water is an oxygen sanitizer. This is another chemical that may be used for those who have more sensitive skin.
While these cleaning chemicals are safe to use in hot tubs (when used correctly), they’re not meant to be ingested. This means a dog that drinks too much hot tub water could become very sick from the chemicals used to keep the water clean.
What to Do If Your Dog Drinks Hot Tub Water
If your dog has had one lick of treated hot tub water, then he will be OK. It’s possible he may experience a little stomach upset with diarrhea and vomiting.
However, if your dog has drunk untreated hot tub water or had a large drink of treated hot tub water, then it’s best to call the vet right away. Don’t wait to see if your fur baby develops any symptoms.
One more note, it’s not really a good idea to allow your dog into the hot tub with you. Not only could your dog drink the water, but inhaling the vaporized chemicals used to treat the water could also make him very sick!
So, it’s best to err on the side of caution and keep your dog away from the hot tub completely!