My Dog Drank Alcohol What Should I Do?
Many pet parents like to have an alcoholic drink from time to time. These drinks can be enjoyed alone or with particular meals. Alcoholic beverages are also often used during special occasions such as weddings, holidays, birthdays, and more! But what happens if a dog drinks alcohol?
Has your dog drunk alcohol? Are you worried the alcohol will make your dog sick? If so, then you’ve come to the right place. We understand it can be scary when your dog drinks something like this.
In this article, we’ve put together some information about alcohol and whether it can make a dog sick. Let’s get started!
What is Alcohol?
Alcohol, also called ethanol or ethyl alcohol is an ingredient found in spirits, wine, and beer. It’s formed when yeast ferments the sugars in different types of food. For instance, wine is made from the sugar of grapes, while beer is made from the sugar in malted barley and cider is made from sugar found in apples, and vodka can be made from the sugar in potatoes, beets, and other plants.
Alcohol is classified as a sedative-hypnotic drug. What does this mean? Alcohol has the ability to depress the central nervous system when taken in high doses. In low doses or in some people, alcohol may also act as a stimulant. Too much alcohol can cause sedation and drowsiness, which can also lead to difficulty breathing, coma, and even death.
However, humans can safely enjoy alcohol in small amounts. But what about dogs? Is alcohol safe for dogs?
Alcohol & Dogs
Unfortunately, alcohol is very harmful to dogs. Alcohol poisoning is a very common issue in dogs, and toxicity can occur very quickly because the dog’s system quickly absorbs the substance.
Some people believe a dog can’t be hurt by alcohol and think getting a dog drunk is funny. However, just one drink could be enough to kill some dogs. It’s not a funny matter for the poor dog.
Symptoms of Alcohol Toxicity in Dogs
You may notice these symptoms if your dog has drunk alcohol:
- Inebriation (drunk)
- Loss of bodily control
- Excessive drooling
- Excitement that changes to depression
- Difficulty breathing
- Loss of consciousness
- Slow heart rate
- Heart rhythm issues
If you notice any of these symptoms or know your fur baby has drunk alcohol, then call the vet immediately. This is an emergency.
When you call the vet, let them know what type of alcohol your dog has drunk, as well as the amount ingested (if possible). This information can help the vet.
It is possible for a dog to survive alcohol poisoning; however, they must be taken to the vet immediately to receive medical care. This is the key to helping your dog survive.
The best medicine is always prevention! So, never give your dog alcohol and keep alcoholic drinks where your dog can’t reach them!