My Dog Drank Hibiscus Tea What Should I Do?
Do you love drinking hibiscus tea? If so, you’re not alone! Many people around the world find hibiscus tea a refreshing drink. But what happens if your dog drinks hibiscus tea?
Has your dog drunk hibiscus tea? Are you worried the hibiscus tea will make him sick? If so, then you’ve come to the right place. We understand it can be scary when your dog drinks something like this.
In this article, we’ve put together some information about hibiscus tea and whether it will make a dog sick. Let’s get started!
What is Hibiscus Tea?
Hibiscus tea is a drink made from the dried parts of the hibiscus plant. The tea is usually a dark red color, and the flavor has been described as both sweet and tart at the same time. Some people say the tea almost tastes like cranberries. The tea can be enjoyed hot or even iced, making this a versatile beverage.Check Price on Amazon
The tea is made from the Hibiscus sabdariffa plant, which is only one of the many hibiscus plants found worldwide. This particular plant originally came from North Africa and Southeast Asia; however, it does grow well in any tropical or subtropical climate.
You may hear hibiscus tea referred to as:
- Red sorrel
- Sudan tea
- Agua de Jamaica
- Sour tea
While this tea is safe for humans, what about dogs? Can hibiscus tea make dogs sick?
Hibiscus Tea & Dogs
You may know that hibiscus can be toxic to dogs. However, we’re happy to let you know that the plant used to make hibiscus tea is not toxic to dogs. The Hibiscus sabdariffa plant is not poisonous to dogs, thank goodness!
So, if your dog has drunk some of your hibiscus tea, he should be OK!
Hibiscus Plants & DogsCheck Price on Amazon
Since we’re talking about hibiscus plants, we thought it was a good time to remind you that some varieties of hibiscus are very toxic to dogs. These include:
- Hibiscus syriacus
- Marsh mallow
- Rose mallow
- Rose of China
- Rose of Sharon
- Joseph’s Rod
- Syrian Ketmia
These plants contain substances found in most parts of the plants, which are toxic to dogs. So, if your dog eats a hibiscus plant, then it’s important to call the vet right away.
But when it comes to hibiscus tea, your dog should be safe! However, if your tea has a lot of sugar in it, then don’t allow your fur baby to drink it too often. Large amounts of sugar can make a dog really sick!