My Dog Ate Zebra Cake Will He Get Sick?
Dogs love to eat what we eat. Have you noticed your fur baby begging when you’re eating a snack, such as a piece of cake? Or had your dog snatched a piece of cake that was left unattended? That’s because they are drawn to sweets, just like us!
There’s a type of cake known as Zebra Cake, which can be especially attractive to dogs. Has your dog eaten some Zebra Cake? Are you worried the Zebra Cake will make your dog sick? If so, then you’ve come to the right place!
In this article, we’ve put together information on Zebra Cake and whether or not this can make your dog sick. Let’s get started!
What is Zebra Cake?Check Price on Amazon
Zebra Cake is a homemade cake recipe that’s made by layering chocolate and vanilla cake batter on top of each other. When baked and cut, the cake looks like zebra stripes inside! The frosting on the finished cake is usually chocolate, though some people prefer to use vanilla frosting, with stripes of chocolate going across the cake.
While we may enjoy Zebra cake from time to time, what happens if a dog eats it? Can Zebra Cake make a dog sick?
Zebra Cake & Dogs
The answer is that yes, Zebra Cakes can make dogs very sick. The main problem is the chocolate contained in the cake and any frosting. Chocolate contains a substance called theobromine, which is also found in coffee.
Theobromine is a substance that works as a diuretic, heart stimulant, and blood vessel dilator, as well as a smooth muscle relaxant. Dogs are not able to metabolize theobromine, which then can make them very sick.
There are different types of chocolate, and some contain more theobromine than others. In general, the darker the chocolate, the more theobromine it contains. Milk chocolate contains the least about of this substance.
Symptoms of Chocolate Toxicity in Dogs
You may notice these symptoms if your dog has eaten Zebra Cake:
- Excessive drooling
- Extreme thirst
- Increased urination
- Muscle tremors
If you notice any of these symptoms in your dog, call the vet immediately. This is a life-threatening medical emergency.
Treatment of Chocolate Toxicity in DogsCheck Price on Amazon
At the vet’s, they will perform a complete physical of your dog. This will include lab work and possibly an EKG (to check your dog’s heart function) and radiographs to check for other causes of the symptoms.
There is no antidote for chocolate poisoning, which means the vet can offer supportive treatment for your dog. If the cake was eaten fairly recently, they may try to induce vomiting or use activated charcoal.
Otherwise, your dog will probably require an IV for fluids and medications to treat symptoms as they arise. Your fur baby will likely have to stay in the hospital a day or so for observation.
However, the good news is that dogs who are treated quickly will have a great chance of surviving. They will go on to make a full recovery, which means your dog will be back to his old self again in no time. But it’s essential to get him treated as soon as possible to avoid the complications caused by chocolate poisoning.