My Dog Ate Easter Eggs What Should I Do?
Easter is a fun time of year when most of us enjoy Easter eggs. We’re talking about the kind that contains chocolate, not the type that are dyed in different colors. We’ve written quite a bit on the dangers of chocolate but thought now is the right time for a reminder of the danger of dogs eating chocolate.
What are Easter Eggs?
Chocolate Easter eggs are made of chocolate and are usually covered with colorful wrapping such as foil. You know how yummy Easter eggs can be! But how did they become a tradition for Easter?Check Price on Amazon
For one thing, the egg is a symbol of Easter in Christianity. It’s the symbol of resurrection and new life. Eggs were also used in pagan spring rituals and were also symbols of new life. The eggs were also a sign of fertility and the Spring Equinox.
What happens if your dog eats a chocolate Easter egg or more? Can Easter eggs make your dog sick?
Chocolate is Toxic for Dogs
Not everyone realizes that chocolate can poison a dog. In fact, this is a very dangerous toxin in dogs. Each year, vets have to treat many dogs who have eaten chocolate Easter eggs. It happens either when someone shares an egg with a dog, or the dog helps himself to Easter eggs that may be within reach.
Chocolate contains theobromine and caffeine, which are substances that dogs are not able to metabolize. And there’s a scale to chocolate toxicity. Lower amounts of chocolate or chocolate made with milk chocolate are less toxic. On the other hand, the darker the chocolate, the more toxic it is.
Dogs love sweet things, which includes chocolate. But what symptoms appear if a dog is poisoned by chocolate?Check Price on Amazon
Symptoms of Chocolate Poisoning in Dogs
The symptoms, as mentioned above, will depend on the type of chocolate, as well as the amount that was eaten. The most common symptoms of chocolate poisoning in dogs include:
- Increased thirst
- Excessive urination
- Racing heartbeat
- Muscle tremors
- Heart failure
Again, the severity of symptoms depends on the amount and type of chocolate that was eaten. In severe cases, a dog can die from eating chocolate.
So, if your dog is showing any of the symptoms mentioned above and know (or suspect) he’s eaten chocolate Easter eggs, then be sure to call the vet right away. This could be a life-threatening medical emergency.
The earlier your dog receives treatment, the better prognosis he’ll have of a full recovery.