My Dog Ate Ant Poison Granules What Should I Do?

Reviewed By Kim •  Updated: 05/22/23 •  3 min read
Dog Severe Toxicity Level
The contents of the OurFitPets.com website, such as text, graphics, images, and other material contained on this site (“Content”) are for informational purposes only. The Content is not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinarian advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your veterinarian with any questions you may have regarding the medical condition of your pet. Never disregard professional advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website! Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase this item or service, we will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you. All opinions remain our own.

It’s not uncommon to have ants in your yard. These may be the kind that comes into your home, or they may be other types of ants, such as fire ants. These can be quite a nuisance. Many pet parents choose to treat their yards with ant poison granules to get rid of the fire ants. But what happens if a dog eats ant poison granules?

Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. Licensed vets are available 24/7 to answer your questions. No need to worry about your furry family member.

Has your dog eaten ant poison granules? Are you worried that the ant poison granules will make your dog sick? If so,  you’ve come to the right place. We understand it can be scary when your dog eats something like this.

We’ve gathered information about ant poison granules and whether they can make a dog sick. Let’s get started!

Dog Ate Ant Poison Granules

It is strongly recommended to contact a Pet Poison Helpline or your veterinarian.

What are Ant Poison Granules?

Ant poison granules are made with insecticide. One of the most common ingredients in these granules is hydramethylnon. This substance is a metabolic inhibitor. It works by disrupting energy production within the ants’ cells.

This is a slow-acting poison that must be eaten by the ants to be effective.

While ant poison granules are considered safe (when used as directed), what happens if a dog eats these granules? Can ant poison granules make a dog sick?

Ant Poison Granules & Dogs

If your ant poison granules contain hydramethylnon, you’ll be happy to learn that this substance is mildly toxic to dogs in small amounts. However, dogs that eat this poison in large amounts could become sick.

Symptoms of Ant Poison Granules Ingestion in Dogs

You may notice these symptoms if your dog eats ant poison granules:

These symptoms should last between 12 to 24 hours. If they last longer, it’s best to call the vet. Persistent diarrhea and vomiting can cause dehydration in dogs.

And if your dog has eaten ant poison granules and you’re worried, be sure to call the vet. They can offer you advice and guidance on what to do to help your fur baby.

Treatment of Ant Poison Granules Ingestion in Dogs

The vet has medications that can stop your dog’s persistent diarrhea and vomiting. They will also check your dog to see if he’s dehydrated. If so, the vet may give your fur baby an IV with fluids to get him rehydrated.

The good news is that most dogs will make a full recovery after eating ant poison granules. In the future, it’s best to keep ant poison granules and other household chemicals out of your dog’s reach. You’ll both be happier for it!

(Visited 220 times, 2 visits today)
Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. Licensed vets are available 24/7 to answer your questions. No need to worry about your furry family member.

Kim

Kim is a talented author, who loves animals especially dogs. She engaged in writing books and articles relating to animals a decade ago. Kim resides in Chicago with her husband and son. The family is the proud owner of a dog and a parrot (Jack and Lily). Kim wanted more than these two pets, but her husband put his foot down... She often visits elementary schools to talk to the kids about what she learned about pets and how they could learn from them.

Keep Reading