My Dog Ate Used Fireworks What Should I Do?

By Kyoko •  Updated: 07/11/21 •  3 min read
The contents of the OurFitPets.com website, such as text, graphics, images, and other material contained on this site (“Content”) are for informational purposes only. The Content is not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinarian advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your veterinarian with any questions you may have regarding the medical condition of your pet. Never disregard professional advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website! Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase this item or service, we will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you. All opinions remain our own.

Fireworks may be part of large celebrations. They’re usually spectacular! There are even fireworks made for personal use, which are still pretty! However, what happens if a dog eats used fireworks?

Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. No waiting for appointments or office hours. No high fees. No need to worry about your furry family member.

Has your dog eaten used fireworks? Are you worried the used fireworks will make your dog sick? If so, then you’ve come to the right place. We understand it can be scary when your dog eats something he shouldn’t.

In this article, we’ll take a look at used fireworks and what you need to do if your dog has eaten them. Let’s get started!

Fireworks are Dangerous

Most everyone knows that fireworks can be extremely dangerous. If not handled correctly, they can cause very serious injuries. What’s more, they have even been known to start serious fires. However, not many people think of the danger of used fireworks. How could they be dangerous?

The danger is that used fireworks contain parts and ingredients that can be toxic to dogs and other animals. Fireworks contain metals such as copper, iron, zinc, and more, which are toxic to dogs. What’s more, the leftover parts of fireworks can be swallowed and cause choking or even an intestinal blockage.

Used Fireworks & Dogs

If your dog has eaten used fireworks and/or their parts, then call the vet immediately. This is a medical emergency. Do not wait to see if your dog becomes sick. Get him to the vet ASAP.

Symptoms of Firework Toxicity in Dogs

You may notice these symptoms if your dog has eaten used fireworks:

If you notice any of these symptoms in your dog, then call the vet immediately. Your dog needs to see the vet ASAP.

Treatment for Firework Toxicity in Dogs

At the vet’s, they will perform a complete exam of your dog. This will include lab work and other tests, including images. The vet will want to see if there are any blockages in the dog’s digestive tract.

If your dog has recently eaten the used fireworks, then the vet may try to induce vomiting. If there’s a blockage, then your fur baby may require emergency surgery. The surgery is done to remove the blockage and repair any damage it may have caused in the digestive tract. Additional treatment may be supportive in nature, such as an IV and medications to relieve symptoms as they appear.

In this case, the prognosis depends on how soon the dog receives medical treatment. It also depends on how much of the used fireworks were eaten. So, the sooner your dog is treated, the better. He will have a better chance of surviving.

(Visited 852 times, 1 visits today)
Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. No waiting for appointments or office hours. No high fees. No need to worry about your furry family member.

Kyoko

Kyoko is from a family of 3 and moved to New York with her parents and siblings when she was 13. Kyoko is fond of spending a great amount of time with pets, specifically her beagle Luna and cat Missy. Her boyfriend often complains that she spends too much time giving attention to their animals. Kyoko has written dozens of articles concerning pets and is aiming at owning a pet shop one day!

Keep Reading