My Dog Ate Used Fireworks What Should I Do?
Fireworks may be part of large celebrations. They’re usually spectacular! There are even fireworks made for personal use, which are still pretty! However, what happens if a dog eats used fireworks?
Has your dog eaten used fireworks? Are you worried the used fireworks will make your dog sick? If so, then you’ve come to the right place. We understand it can be scary when your dog eats something he shouldn’t.
In this article, we’ll take a look at used fireworks and what you need to do if your dog has eaten them. Let’s get started!
Fireworks are DangerousCheck Price on Amazon
Most everyone knows that fireworks can be extremely dangerous. If not handled correctly, they can cause very serious injuries. What’s more, they have even been known to start serious fires. However, not many people think of the danger of used fireworks. How could they be dangerous?
The danger is that used fireworks contain parts and ingredients that can be toxic to dogs and other animals. Fireworks contain metals such as copper, iron, zinc, and more, which are toxic to dogs. What’s more, the leftover parts of fireworks can be swallowed and cause choking or even an intestinal blockage.
Used Fireworks & Dogs
If your dog has eaten used fireworks and/or their parts, then call the vet immediately. This is a medical emergency. Do not wait to see if your dog becomes sick. Get him to the vet ASAP.
Symptoms of Firework Toxicity in Dogs
You may notice these symptoms if your dog has eaten used fireworks:
- Abdominal pain
- Burns on lips/inside mouth
- Kidney failure
- Shallow breathing
- Soft tissue damage
- Uncoordinated movement
If you notice any of these symptoms in your dog, then call the vet immediately. Your dog needs to see the vet ASAP.Check Price on Amazon
Treatment for Firework Toxicity in Dogs
At the vet’s, they will perform a complete exam of your dog. This will include lab work and other tests, including images. The vet will want to see if there are any blockages in the dog’s digestive tract.
If your dog has recently eaten the used fireworks, then the vet may try to induce vomiting. If there’s a blockage, then your fur baby may require emergency surgery. The surgery is done to remove the blockage and repair any damage it may have caused in the digestive tract. Additional treatment may be supportive in nature, such as an IV and medications to relieve symptoms as they appear.
In this case, the prognosis depends on how soon the dog receives medical treatment. It also depends on how much of the used fireworks were eaten. So, the sooner your dog is treated, the better. He will have a better chance of surviving.