My Dog Ate Dead Mouse What Should I Do?
Sometimes it seems as if a dog is nothing but an eating machine! Dogs seem to find just about anything palatable. It could be a piece of another animal’s poop or something that died ages ago. A dog will still eat these things with relish! But what happens if your dog eats a dead mouse?
Has your dog eaten a dead mouse? Are you worried the dead mouse could make your dog sick? If so, you’ve come to the right place. We understand it can be scary when your dog eats something like this.
We’ve put together some information about dead mice and whether they can make a dog sick. Let’s get started!
What is a Mouse?
A mouse (we’re talking about wild mice—not pet mice) is a small mammal called a rodent. They’re usually small, with a pointed nose, small round ears, a tail that’s about as long as their body. These little critters can certainly be cute; however, they have a high breeding rate. That means one mouse can have multiple litters throughout the year. One mouse can have up to 70 babies (or more) in a year!
Mice bring out various emotions in humans. However, if your house is overrunning with mice, we can safely bet you’re disgusted!
But what happens if a dog eats a dead mouse?
Dead Mouse & Dogs
Dead mice can make a dog sick; however, not every dead mouse will make a dog sick. Canines regularly eat mice and other rodents in the wild without any problem. However, there are some different considerations if your dog has eaten a dead mouse.
For one thing, if the mouse has been dead for a while, it could cause GI problems. Then there’s the question of whether or not the mouse died of poison. This can result in secondary poisoning of your dog.
Finally, mice can also carry internal parasites and bacteria that could make a dog sick.
What to Do If Your Dog Has Eaten a Dead Mouse
Start by monitoring your dog’s condition. Watch for any signs of illness, including vomiting, diarrhea, loss of appetite, and lethargy. If he develops these symptoms, then call the vet right away.
Could the mouse have been poisoned? Have you or a neighbor recently used rat or mouse poison? If so, then you should err on the side of caution and call the vet immediately. Let them know what’s happened and that there’s a possibility the mouse could have been poisoned.
And if you’re worried or your dog develops concerning symptoms, then do call the vet. They’ll have the best guidance on how to help your dog!