My Dog Ate Tomcat Rat Poison What Should I Do?

Reviewed By Julie •  Updated: 02/08/23 •  3 min read
Dog Severe Toxicity Level
The contents of the OurFitPets.com website, such as text, graphics, images, and other material contained on this site (“Content”) are for informational purposes only. The Content is not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinarian advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your veterinarian with any questions you may have regarding the medical condition of your pet. Never disregard professional advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website! Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase this item or service, we will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you. All opinions remain our own.

Dog Ate Tomcat Rat Poison

Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. Licensed vets are available 24/7 to answer your questions. No need to worry about your furry family member.

Rats have long been a problem for humans. For centuries, rats have infested homes, businesses, and more. Not only that, but rats also carry pathogens that can infect humans and other animals. That’s why so many companies have developed effective rat poisons, such as Tomcat. While these poisons are effective, they can also be dangerous to dogs. What happens if a dog eats Tomcat rat poison?

Has your dog eaten Tomcat Rat Poison? Are you worried Tomcat Rat Poison will make your dog sick? If so, you’ve come to the right place. We understand it can be scary when your dog eats something like this.

We’ve gathered information about Tomcat Rat Poison and whether it can make a dog sick. Let’s get started!

It is strongly recommended to contact a Pet Poison Helpline or your veterinarian.

What is Tomcat Rat Poison?

Tomcat Rat Poison is a rodenticide that’s made to kill rats. Tomcat Rat Poison comes in different formats, including bait stations. The stations are small plastic boxes with a hole that allows the rat to enter. Bait has been placed on the inside of the box. The idea is that the rat eats the bait and eventually dies. In some cases, the rat may even take the poison back to its nest and share it with others.

The bait traps made by Tomcat contain a rat poison that’s called bromethalin. Bromethalin is a neurotoxin that kills the rat by damaging its nervous system.

What happens if a dog eats Tomcat Rat Poison?

Tomcat Rat Poison & Dogs

Unfortunately, Tomcat Rat Poison is also highly toxic to dogs. Less than 38 ten-thousandths of an ounce is enough to kill a 50 lb dog. There is no antidote for this poison, and the dog that eats this rat poison requires fast treatment in order to survive.

Symptoms of Tomcat Rat Poison Ingestion in Dogs

You may notice the following symptoms if your dog has eaten Tomcat Rat Poison:

The severity of these symptoms varies depending on how much poison the dog has eaten.

If your dog is showing these or other symptoms, call the vet immediately. This is an emergency. The sooner your dog receives medical care, the better his chances of surviving.

Treatment of Tomcat Rat Poison Ingestion in Dogs

There is no antidote for bromethalin poison, so the vet may first try to induce vomiting and give your dog activated charcoal. These methods cause your dog to vomit and remove the poison from his system. The vet may repeat this process every four to eight hours for at least 2 days after the poisoning.

In addition, the vet will treat other symptoms as they arise.

The prognosis is best for dogs who receive prompt medical care after ingesting Tomcat Rat Poison. Recovery after poisoning can take several weeks.

The best thing you can do is to keep all Tomcat Rat Poison and other chemicals out of your dog’s reach. There are rat poison traps offered by Tomcat and other brands that are dog- and child-proof. These would be a good choice if you have a curious dog that likes to eat almost anything!

(Visited 965 times, 6 visits today)
Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. Licensed vets are available 24/7 to answer your questions. No need to worry about your furry family member.

Julie

Julie is a graduate of the University of North Carolina, Wilmington, where she studied Animal science. Though contrary to the opinion of her parents she was meant to study pharmacy, but she was in love with animals especially cats. Julie currently works in an animal research institute (NGO) in California and loves spending quality time with her little cat. She has the passion for making research about animals, how they survive, their way of life among others and publishes it. Julie is also happily married with two kids.

Keep Reading