My Dog Ate Dead Bee What Should I Do?
Dogs are so curious about their world and everything in it! Have you ever noticed your dog chasing flies and other flying creatures? Canines were made to hunt, and they’ll even go after insects at times. But what happens if your dog kills a bee and eats it?
Has your dog eaten a dead bee? Are you worried the dead bee will make your dog sick? If so, you’ve come to the right place. We understand it can be scary when your dog eats something like this.
We’ve put together some information about dead bees and whether they can make a dog sick. Let’s get started!
What is a Bee?
Bees are flying insects that are related to wasps and ants. Bees are beneficial insects that work to pollinate many of the plants that produce the foods we eat. There are over 16,000 known species of bees, too. The most common bees found in the US include:
- Honey bees
- Western honey bees
- European dark bee
- Killer bee
- Carpenter bee (usually build their nests in bamboo or dead wood)
- Mining bee (these bees build their nests underground!)
Many bees are social and live in large colonies, where they work and raise their young. Bees usually eat nectar and pollen. In addition, pollen is eaten by bee larvae.
While bees are beneficial bugs, what happens if your dog eats a dead bee?
Dead Bees & Dogs
It can happen that your dog either kills and eats a bee, or he could find a dead bee in the house or somewhere outside. It’s very common for dogs to eat anything and everything! They’re curious about so much in their world. And most dogs are happy to have a crunchy, yummy snack when they find something that’s edible, including a dead bee.
If the bee’s been dead for some time, chances are it’s pretty dried up. In that case, the bee won’t make your dog sick. However, if the bee is relatively fresh, it could still contain venom. If your dog happens to crunch down on the venom sacks of the bee, it’s possible he could get sick.
You may notice these symptoms if your dog eats a fresh dead bee:
- Swelling around the nose and mouth
- Trouble breathing
- Uncoordinated movements
If you notice these symptoms in your dog, call the vet immediately. This could be an emergency. Don’t wait to see if your dog’s symptoms will improve or worsen. He needs medical assistance now.
In most cases, however, a dead bee shouldn’t make your dog sick. However, in rare cases (probably very rare), a dead bee could cause an allergic reaction in a dog. If so, then the dog needs immediate medical treatment.