My Dog Ate Andes Mint What Should I Do?

Reviewed By Kim •  Updated: 03/05/23 •  3 min read
Dog Severe Toxicity Level
The contents of the OurFitPets.com website, such as text, graphics, images, and other material contained on this site (“Content”) are for informational purposes only. The Content is not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinarian advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your veterinarian with any questions you may have regarding the medical condition of your pet. Never disregard professional advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website! Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase this item or service, we will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you. All opinions remain our own.

Dog Ate Andes Mint

Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. Licensed vets are available 24/7 to answer your questions. No need to worry about your furry family member.

Who doesn’t love Andes Mints? These small treats are occasionally used as an after-dinner treat, though some people enjoy them any time! And if you have a dog, he may be thinking about how to get these yummy mints, too! But what happens if a dog eats Andes Mints?

Has your dog eaten Andes Mints? Are you worried the Andes Mints will make your dog sick? If so, you’ve come to the right place. We understand it can be scary when your dog eats something like this.

We’ve gathered information about Andes Mints and whether they can make a dog sick. Let’s get started!

It is strongly recommended to contact a Pet Poison Helpline or your veterinarian.

What are Andes Mints?

Andes Mints are small, rectangular chocolate candies that have crème de menthe sandwiched between them. These yummy candies are usually individually wrapped in foil. These amazing treats were first introduced in 1950, and they’re made by Tootsie Roll Industries.

Andes Mints contain the following delectable ingredients:

While Andes Mints are considered safe for humans (in moderation), what about dogs? Can Andes Mints make a dog sick?

Andes Mints & Dogs

Andes Mints are made with chocolate and peppermint, both of which are toxic to dogs. However, if your dog eats one mint, chances are he will be OK. If your dog eats a couple of Andes Mints, he may experience some digestive upset but still be OK.

However, if your dog eats a lot of these mints, he could become pretty sick due to the chocolate and peppermint filling.

Symptoms of Andes Mints Ingestion in Dogs

You may notice these symptoms if your dog eats Andes Mints (several of them or an entire box):

If you notice any of these symptoms in your dog, call the vet immediately. This is an emergency.

Treatment of Andes Mints Ingestion in Dogs

The vet may induce vomiting and use activated charcoal to remove the toxins from your dog’s system. In addition, the vet may give your fur baby an IV with fluids to keep him hydrated and to flush the toxins from his body.

In addition, the vet will treat other symptoms as they arise. In cases of severe toxicity, your canine companion may have to be hospitalized until he’s in stable condition.

The prognosis is best for dogs who receive prompt medical treatment after ingesting Andes Mints. In the future, it’s best to keep these and other candies out of your dog’s reach. You’ll both be happier for it!

(Visited 564 times, 1 visits today)
Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. Licensed vets are available 24/7 to answer your questions. No need to worry about your furry family member.

Kim

Kim is a talented author, who loves animals especially dogs. She engaged in writing books and articles relating to animals a decade ago. Kim resides in Chicago with her husband and son. The family is the proud owner of a dog and a parrot (Jack and Lily). Kim wanted more than these two pets, but her husband put his foot down... She often visits elementary schools to talk to the kids about what she learned about pets and how they could learn from them.

Keep Reading