My Dog Ate Splenda Will He Get Sick?
Many people use different types of artificial sweeteners today. One that’s been on the market since 1998 is called Splenda.
Is Splenda safe for dogs?
What is Splenda?
Splenda, also known as sucralose, is an artificial sweetener, which has been approved as a general sugar substitute. It’s interesting to note that Splenda is 600 times sweeter than natural sugar, but only has a very few calories.
Because Splenda is a general sweetener, it can be found in everything from beverages, to gum, desserts, and more. It’s become a very popular sweetener around the world.
Overall Splenda is seen as safe; however, it has been tied to certain medical issues such as altered microbe levels in the intestines of mice. It’s though that cooking with sucralose may produce toxic substances, but further studies will need to clarify this and other points about the safety of Splenda.Check Price on Amazon
Is Splenda Safe for Dogs?
The answer is it depends. In very small amounts, once in a while, sucralose doesn’t seem to cause any problems. However, in larger amounts this sweetener has been known to cause diarrhea and vomiting in some dogs.
On the whole, it’s best not give your fur baby any types of sweets (natural or artificial).
Symptoms in Dogs Who Have Eaten Splenda
You may notice these symptoms if your canine companion has eaten Splenda:
- Difficulty walking
If your dog has eaten any of the packaging, there’s a chance he could develop a intestinal blockage, which is a medical emergency.
Symptoms of an Intestinal blockage include:
- Loss of appetite
- Abdominal swelling and pain
If your dog is showing the symptoms of having too much Splenda and/or signs of an intestinal blockage, then call the vet immediately. If your dog has an intestinal blockage, this is a medical emergency that can end in death. So, your fur baby needs immediate medical treatment.Check Price on Amazon
Sweet Foods Safe for Dogs
When it comes to sweets, dogs love them. And why not? They taste so good! However, sugar and artificial sweeteners can cause health issues in dogs. So, it’s best to go with a sweet food that’s completely safe for your fur baby. These include:
- And other fruits
As you can see, while Splenda is not toxic for dogs, it’s not really healthy, either. If your dog really loves sweets, then give him sweets that are safe such as the fruits listed above. You’ll have a healthy dog in the long run!