My Dog Ate Wax What Should I Do? (Reviewed by Vet)

Reviewed By Rebecca MacMillan, BVetMed BSAVA PGCertSAM MRCVS •  Updated: 04/08/23 •  3 min read
Dog Moderate Toxicity Level
The contents of the website, such as text, graphics, images, and other material contained on this site (“Content”) are for informational purposes only. The Content is not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinarian advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your veterinarian with any questions you may have regarding the medical condition of your pet. Never disregard professional advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website! Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase this item or service, we will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you. All opinions remain our own.

Dogs will eat the strangest things, with some dogs even eating wax! Why on earth would a dog choose to eat wax?

Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. Licensed vets are available 24/7 to answer your questions. No need to worry about your furry family member.

If you have scented candles at home, their smell may be attractive to your dog and he may even believe it’s a treat of some kind. Dogs explore the world through their mouths and are scavengers by nature, which means they might just try a bite or two!

Dog Ate Wax

Is Wax Poisonous?

Should you worry if your dog ate some wax? It depends. While the wax itself is considered to be non-toxic, those scents that make the candle or wax smell good could be toxic. These substances in wax can be poisonous:

It is strongly recommended to contact a Pet Poison Helpline or your veterinarian.

The good news is that most wax contains low amounts of these substances and may not cause a problem if eaten. However, if a dog eats a large amount, then he could experience symptoms of toxicity.

These include:

While wax on its own probably isn’t poisonous, it could cause other medical problems, including an intestinal blockage. This is a serious, life-threatening emergency.

However, if the wax your dog has eaten is beeswax, paraffin, or soy, chances are the wax will soften in your fur baby’s system and pass on through without any trouble.

My Dog Ate Wax – What to Do

First, if your canine companion happened to eat a candle, then check the bottom of the candle or the package it came in (if you still have it) to see if any ingredients are listed. Look for the type of wax and/or the scent it contained (was it an essential oil, for instance). This information can help the vet determine treatment options.

Do not try to induce vomiting, unless directed to do so by your vet.

If your pup only ate a little bit of the wax, the vet may ask you to monitor them for any signs and symptoms mentioned above. If your fur baby happened to eat a large amount of wax, the vet will ask you to watch for signs of a bowel blockage, which includes vomiting, diarrhea or constipation, abdominal pain, and reduced appetite.  They may also advise you to give your dog some plain canned pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling) to help move the wax through your dog’s system. You’ll need to watch your fur baby—if he’s constipated for one or two days, then be sure to call the vet.

And of course, watch for signs of a bowel obstruction. If you see symptoms of this condition, or you’re worried about other signs, then be sure to call your vet for guidance. Chances are your dog will be good just after eating wax but do monitor him for a couple of days to make sure he’s OK.

CheckedbyVets stamp

(Visited 6,451 times, 1 visits today)
Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. Licensed vets are available 24/7 to answer your questions. No need to worry about your furry family member.

Rebecca MacMillan, BVetMed BSAVA PGCertSAM MRCVS

This article has been reviewed and approved by an independent Veterinarian: Rebecca is a companion animal vet who has always had a passion for writing and client communication. Since her graduation from the Royal Veterinary college in 2009 she has gained a wealth of experience in first opinion small animal practice, in both clinical and managerial roles. She currently works in the South West and deals with a variety of routine and emergency appointments, but particularly enjoys medicine cases. Outside of work and writing, she enjoys spending time with her family, including her bouncy flat coated retriever George!

Keep Reading