My Dog Ate Something Sharp What Should I Do?

Reviewed By Tom •  Updated: 03/16/21 •  3 min read
Dog Severe Toxicity Level
The contents of the website, such as text, graphics, images, and other material contained on this site (“Content”) are for informational purposes only. The Content is not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinarian advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your veterinarian with any questions you may have regarding the medical condition of your pet. Never disregard professional advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website! Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase this item or service, we will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you. All opinions remain our own.

Has your dog eaten something sharp? Is he showing some concerning symptoms? If so, then you’ve come to the right place.

Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. Licensed vets are available 24/7 to answer your questions. No need to worry about your furry family member.

In this article, we’ll take a look at the problem of dogs ingesting sharp objects, the symptoms to watch for, and what to do. Let’s get started!

Sharp Objects & Dogs

Dogs love to chew, bite, and tear into things they shouldn’t. Sometimes they will eat these things, too, which isn’t good. But what happens if your dog eats something sharp?

While researching this article, we came across stories of dogs eating all types of sharp things. In one story, the dog removed a Christmas ornament from the tree, only to break it and then swallow it! In another story, a dog chewed up a branch and swallowed the sharp bits of the branch he found on the ground. In other stories, dogs break something plastic and swallow the pieces, and it goes on from there.

It is strongly recommended to contact a Pet Poison Helpline or your veterinarian.

These are scary to read; this is a more common problem than most of us realize. And it’s a problem that can have some extremely serious consequences.

Sharp objects can cut a dog’s mouth, cut or pierce the esophagus, cut or pierce any part of the digestive tract from the stomach to the intestines. In addition, a sharp object can become lodged in the intestines and cause an intestinal blockage. These are all very serious threats to your dog’s life.

Symptoms for a Dog That’s Swallowed Something Sharp

You may notice these symptoms if your dog has swallowed something sharp:

If your dog is showing any of these signs or symptoms, then call the vet immediately. This is a life-threatening medical emergency. Be sure to let the vet know what your dog has eaten and the approximate size of the item, if possible.

One note: do not induce vomiting unless the vet advises you to do so.

There may be some cases where your dog has swallowed something sharp and isn’t showing any symptoms. This could be due to the sharp item being small, for instance. Even so, it’s still best to call the vet and let them know what’s happened. Rather than waiting to see if symptoms develop, the vet can provide advice and guidance on how to help your dog now.

Treatment for Swallowing Something Sharp in Dogs

Treatment will depend on the vet’s diagnosis, as well as what your dog has eaten. If your fur baby has something caught in his mouth or throat, the vet will remove this and treat any cuts. However, in severe cases such as an intestinal blockage, your fur baby may require surgery.

The key in this type of situation is to call the vet as soon as possible and get your dog treated. The sooner he’s treated, the sooner he’ll be able to recover!

(Visited 3,030 times, 1 visits today)
Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. Licensed vets are available 24/7 to answer your questions. No need to worry about your furry family member.


Tom has always loved to write since he was little - he wanted to be either a writer or a veterinary doctor, but he ended up being a professional writer while most of his works are based on animals. He was born in San Francisco but later moved to Texas to continue his job as a writer. He graduated from the University of San Francisco where he studied biotechnology. He is happily married and a soon to be father!

Keep Reading