My Dog Ate Loratadine What Should I Do?
Do you use a medication called Loratadine? Many people use this medicine every day, which means that dogs have a better chance of accessing this medication. But is Loratadine safe for dogs? What happens if a dog eats Loratadine?
Has your dog eaten Loratadine? Are you worried the Loratadine will make your dog sick? If so, then you’ve come to the right place. We understand that it’s scary when your dog eats something he shouldn’t.
In this article, we’ll take a look at Loratadine and whether or not it can make your dog sick. Let’s get started!
What is Loratadine?Check Price on Amazon
Loratadine (also called Claritin) is an antihistamine that’s used to treat allergy symptoms such as itching, watery eyes, sneezing, runny nose, and more. It’s also used to treat hives and prevent/treat serious allergic reactions.
While Loratadine is safe for humans? What about dogs? Is Loratadine safe for dogs?
Loratadine & Dogs
The good news is that Loratadine is used in veterinary medicine. It’s used to treat allergic reactions in dogs. The usual dose for dogs is 0.2mg per pound of body weight. Most vets prescribe between 5mg or 10 mg once a day, depending on the size of the dog being treated.
While the medication is safe for dogs at the right dose, taking too much of this medication can cause serious health issues.
Symptoms of Loratadine Overdose in Dogs
- Rapid heartbeat
- Irregular heartbeat
If your dog is showing any of these symptoms, then call the vet immediately. This is an emergency.
What’s more, be sure to check the medication’s packaging. Some types of Claritin (Loratadine) contain a decongestant, which is very toxic to dogs. Your vet will need to know which type of medication your dog has ingested. Also, be sure to note the dose of medication your dog has ingested.Check Price on Amazon
Treatment of Loratadine Overdose in Dogs
At the vet’s, they will conduct a complete physical exam of your dog. This will include lab work and possibly other tests. After the exam, the vet may induce vomiting, use activated charcoal, or other methods to remove the medication from your dog’s system.
In addition, the vet will treat any other symptoms that may appear. It’s probable your fur baby will require an IV for fluids and to administer medications.
Dogs who receive prompt medical care after ingesting too much Loratadine have the best chance of making a full recovery!