My Dog Ate A Chocolate Bar What Should I Do?

By Kim •  Updated: 08/26/22 •  3 min read
The contents of the OurFitPets.com website, such as text, graphics, images, and other material contained on this site (“Content”) are for informational purposes only. The Content is not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinarian advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your veterinarian with any questions you may have regarding the medical condition of your pet. Never disregard professional advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website! Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase this item or service, we will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you. All opinions remain our own.

Dog Ate A Chocolate Bar

Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. No waiting for appointments or office hours. No high fees. No need to worry about your furry family member.

Who doesn’t love to eat a chocolate bar every so often? These bars taste amazing, and when you eat the chocolate, it slowly melts in your mouth. Yum! When you’re eating chocolate, your dog is probably watching and wants some of that amazing snack! But can chocolate make a dog sick?

Has your dog eaten a chocolate bar? Are you worried the chocolate bar will make your dog sick? If so, you’ve come to the right place. We understand it can be scary when your dog eats something like this.

We’ve put together some information about chocolate bars and whether they can make a dog sick. Let’s get started!

What is a Chocolate Bar?

A chocolate bar, also called a candy bar, is a candy made with chocolate. The bar may be solid chocolate or include other ingredients, such as fruit, nuts, caramel, nougat, and wafers. The chocolate bar is usually easy to break apart or bite off pieces to enjoy.

While chocolate bars are usually safe for humans (in moderation), what about dogs? Are chocolate bars safe for dogs?

Chocolate Bars & Dogs

Unfortunately, chocolate bars are toxic to dogs. The reason for this is that chocolate contains substances that are poisonous to a dog’s system. These substances are theobromine and caffeine, both of which can act as diuretics, heart stimulants, and smooth muscle relaxants.

Dogs are not able to metabolize theobromine and caffeine quickly as we can. That means these substances stay in the dog’s system, where they can cause damage to major organs.

In addition, there are several different types of chocolate, each of which contains a different amount of theobromine and caffeine. For instance, baking chocolate and cocoa powder contain the highest amounts of these substances, followed by dark chocolate, milk chocolate, and white chocolate.

In other words, baking chocolate and cocoa powder are the most toxic to dogs, followed by the other types of chocolate in order. In addition, chocolate bars that contain other ingredients toxic to dogs can also be more dangerous. This includes almonds and other nuts and more.

Symptoms of Chocolate Bar Toxicity in Dogs

You may notice these symptoms if your dog has eaten a chocolate bar:

If you notice any of these symptoms in your dog, call the vet immediately. This is an emergency.

Treatment of Chocolate Bar Toxicity in Dogs

Treatment depends on the type of chocolate, how much your dog ate, and his weight and size. The vet will work to decontaminate your dog’s system and treat other symptoms as they arise.

The prognosis is best for dogs who receive prompt medical treatment. So, keep chocolate bars out of your dog’s reach. Prevention is always the best medicine!

(Visited 131 times, 1 visits today)
Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. No waiting for appointments or office hours. No high fees. No need to worry about your furry family member.

Kim

Kim is a talented author, who loves animals especially dogs. She engaged in writing books and articles relating to animals a decade ago. Kim resides in Chicago with her husband and son. The family is the proud owner of a dog and a parrot (Jack and Lily). Kim wanted more than these two pets, but her husband put his foot down... She often visits elementary schools to talk to the kids about what she learned about pets and how they could learn from them.

Keep Reading