My Dog Ate Slim Jim Will He Get Sick?
Slim Jims are a popular snack that can be found in most grocery and convenience stores. They’re fast and easy to eat on the go or enjoy while watching your favorite sports!
But what if your dog eats a Slim Jim? Will Slim Jims make your dog sick?
In this article, we’ll take a look at what Slim Jims are, their ingredients, and whether or not these popular meat sticks can make your dog sick. Let’s get started!
What are Slim Jims?
Slim Jims are extremely popular in the US, where they’ve been around since the 1920s. We’re not inferring that the Slim Jim sticks currently found at the store have been around since then! But the brand first came out in the 1920s.
You can find these popular meat sticks almost anywhere you can buy snacks and food. And they are popular—in 2015, Slim Jims brought in $575 million in revenue.Check Price on Amazon
The meat snacks come in 21 varieties and flavors, including Jamaican Jerk, Tabasco, Original, and more.
When it comes to the ingredients, you may be surprised. Slim Jims are marketed as “meat sticks;” however, they’re not beef jerky or even just beef. The sticks contain beef, pork, mechanically separated chicken, water, textured soy flour, corn syrup, salt, dextrose, paprika (or other flavorings), extractives of paprika, hydrolyzed soy protein, maltodextrin, lactic acid starter culture, barley malt extract, citric acid, soy lecithin, sodium nitrite. Yum!
The meat used in these popular meat sticks is not high-quality pork, chicken, and beef. Instead, the meat is bottom of the barrel when it comes to quality. Some of the “meat” is also that highly processed pink meat paste (as seen on many documentaries), which is used to help hold the stick ingredients together.
What’s more, Slim Jims contain a high amount of salt and sodium nitrate. Plus, they contain high levels of fat.
So, Slim Jims are a very healthy treat for humans. But what about dogs? Can Slim Jims make dogs sick?
Slim Jims & Dogs
Slim Jims are not good for dogs. This is because they contain high levels of fat and sodium. Both of these can make dogs sick. Plus, if a dog eats the Slim Jim packaging, it could create a blockage in the intestines. This can be a life-threatening medical condition if left untreated.Check Price on Amazon
You may notice these symptoms if your dog has eaten a Slim Jim and/or the product wrapper:
- Abdominal pain & swelling
- Lack of appetite
If your fur baby is showing any of the symptoms above and has eaten one or more Slim Jims and/or the wrapping, then it’s time to call the vet. This could be a medical emergency. Dogs that have developed a bowel obstruction need to have prompt medical care, as this condition can end in death if not treated.
If your dog has had one small piece of a Slim Jim, chances are he will be OK. Your canine companion may experience vomiting and diarrhea, which shouldn’t last longer than 24 hours. If these last longer, then it’s a good idea to call the vet.
The good news is most dogs should go on to make a full recovery, though they may not want to touch another Slim Jim!