My Dog Ate A Bead What Should I Do?
Has your dog swallowed a bead? Are you worried the bead will make him sick? If so, then you’ve come to the right place.
In this article, we’ll take a look at beads and whether or not they can make your dog sick. Let’s get started!
Dogs Love to Swallow Foreign Objects
Many dogs enjoy exploring their environment. They may sniff around, push things with their noses, etc. However, there are times when a foreign object is somehow enticing for a dog. It could be the object that smells like food or the dog’s pet parent. Other times, no one’s really sure why dogs are tempted to swallow a non-food item.Check Price on Amazon
However, many dogs do choose to swallow things they shouldn’t. Vets commonly find dogs have swallowed all sorts of things, including socks, toys, jewelry, string, and more. Sometimes dogs will swallow even small things such as beads!
What to Do If Your Dog Swallows a Bead
Beads can cause problems for dogs, depending on their size compared to the dog’s size. If a small dog swallows a small bead, chances are the bead will go right through the digestive tract and come out in the poop. The same goes for a large dog swallowing a small bead.
However, if the bead is large, there’s a small chance it can cause choking or become stuck somewhere in the dog’s digestive tract.
If the dog swallows a bead and he vomits the bead out, then the problem is solved. However, if the dog begins choking, then it’s time to call the vet.
You’ll also need to call the vet in case the bead hasn’t been vomited out or come out in your fur baby’s poop. This may indicate the bead is lodged in the stomach or intestines.
Symptoms a Dog Has Swallowed a BeadCheck Price on Amazon
You may notice these symptoms if your dog has swallowed a bead:
- Abdominal pain & swelling
- Excessive drooling
- Lack of appetite
If you notice these symptoms in your dog, it may be a sign he’s developed an intestinal blockage. This can be a life-threatening medical emergency. So, you’ll need to call the vet right away.
The vet may need to perform emergency surgery on your dog to safely remove the blockage. The good news is that most dogs will make a complete recovery once the blockage has been removed.
The best way to keep your dog from swallowing a bead is prevention. If you accidentally drop a bead on the floor, be sure to find it as soon as possible. You may also want to consider keeping your dog out of the room where you use the beads, especially if he’s prone to swallowing things he shouldn’t!