My Dog Ate Sawdust Will He Get Sick?
Believe it or not, this is a common question online. Evidently, there are many dogs who love to eat sawdust, of all things! While that doesn’t sound very good, dogs are known for being undiscerning eaters. This means some dogs really enjoying almost everything and anything.
Still, is there anything to worry about if your dog likes to snack on sawdust? Possibly.
Is Sawdust Dangerous for Dogs?
The short answer is your dog probably shouldn’t be eating sawdust. There are several reasons. For instance, some sawdust may be toxic to dogs because of the wood it’s from.
Some types of wood come from trees that are poisonous to dogs. The list is rather long, but does include:
- China Berry Tree
- Red Maple
- Pines (some pines are toxic for dogs)
So, if your dog happened to eat sawdust made from a tree that’s toxic for dogs, he could be poisoned. It may depend on the amount of sawdust he ate, however. If your fur baby ate only a couple of small pieces of sawdust, he would more than likely be OK. On the other hand, if he happened to snarf up a substantial portion of sawdust, then he might become very sick.
There’s another danger from eating sawdust, which is an intestinal blockage. If your dog eats enough sawdust, there’s a danger the sawdust could soak up liquids in the stomach, or perhaps in the intestines. This could cause the sawdust to bond together, creating a blockage in a dog’s intestines. An intestinal blockage can be a life-threatening medical emergency that requires prompt treatment.
What to Do If Your Dog Has Eaten a Large Amount of Sawdust
First, don’t panic. See if you can tell what type of wood the sawdust was from, as this information could help the vet. Also, if possible, see if you can tell how much sawdust your dog may have eaten.
Now, call the vet and ask for their recommendations on what to do next. If your dog isn’t showing any symptoms, the vet may ask you to monitor your fur baby and call right away if he begins having some type of health issue.
If your fur baby ate a large amount of sawdust several hours ago, then the vet may ask you to bring your dog in. The vet will do a physical exam and may order x-rays, lab tests, etc. If your canine companion is showing symptoms of an intestinal blockage, chances are pretty high he will need surgery.
With prompt treatment, most dogs should make a full recovery after eating sawdust.