My Dog Ate Pesticide What Should I Do?

By Kim •  Updated: 01/05/23 •  3 min read
The contents of the OurFitPets.com website, such as text, graphics, images, and other material contained on this site (“Content”) are for informational purposes only. The Content is not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinarian advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your veterinarian with any questions you may have regarding the medical condition of your pet. Never disregard professional advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website! Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase this item or service, we will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you. All opinions remain our own.

Dog Ate Pesticide

Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. No waiting for appointments or office hours. No high fees. No need to worry about your furry family member.

Many of us have pesticides in our homes. They’re used to help eliminate pests in the yard and indoors. Sometimes dogs can find things they’re curious about. In the dog’s mind, they may want to find out if something is good to eat or not. And the dog eats it. But what happens if a dog eats pesticide?

Has your dog eaten pesticide? Are you worried the pesticide will make your dog sick? If so, you’ve come to the right place. We understand it can be scary when your dog eats something like this.

We’ve gathered information about pesticides and whether they can make a dog sick. Let’s get started!

What is Pesticide?

Pesticides are substances that are used to kill insects and other pests. These substances can be natural or chemical and are used to kill insects, plants, fungi, and more.

These substances are used in residential and commercial buildings and grounds, as well as in farming. They’re very common, with many people keeping various pesticides in their homes.

While pesticides are safe when used as directed, what happens if a dog eats pesticide?

Pesticide & Dogs

Unfortunately, pesticides are toxic to dogs. These can make a dog very sick or even cause death. In some cases, only a small amount of pesticide is enough to kill a dog.

Symptoms of Pesticide Ingestion in Dogs

You may notice these symptoms if your dog has eaten pesticide:

If your dog shows any of these symptoms, call the vet immediately. This is an emergency.

Do not induce vomiting unless directed to do so by the vet.

Treatment of Pesticide Toxicity in Dogs

Treatment depends on the type of pesticide your dog has eaten and the severity of his condition. In most cases, the vet may try to decontaminate your dog’s body by inducing vomiting, using activated charcoal, or performing gastric lavage.

Next, the vet may give your fur baby an IV for fluids and to administer medications. Some dogs may also require supplemental oxygen. The vet will continue to treat any symptoms that may arise.

The vet may want to keep your dog hospitalized until your fur baby’s condition has stabilized.

The prognosis is best for dogs that receive prompt medical treatment after eating pesticide. In the future, it’s imperative to keep all pesticides and household chemicals out of your dog’s reach. This could save his life.

(Visited 15 times, 1 visits today)
Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. No waiting for appointments or office hours. No high fees. No need to worry about your furry family member.

Kim

Kim is a talented author, who loves animals especially dogs. She engaged in writing books and articles relating to animals a decade ago. Kim resides in Chicago with her husband and son. The family is the proud owner of a dog and a parrot (Jack and Lily). Kim wanted more than these two pets, but her husband put his foot down... She often visits elementary schools to talk to the kids about what she learned about pets and how they could learn from them.

Keep Reading