My Dog Ate Aquaphor Will He Get Sick?
Many pet parents keep Aquaphor at home to treat dry skin and even dry nasal tissues. It works great! However, what happens if your dog eats Aquaphor?
What is Aquaphor?
Aquaphor is an OTC product that works to moisturize and heal dry, irritated tissues. It can be used to soothe itchy skin, diaper rash, burns, irritated nasal tissues, and more. This product works by forming an oily layer on top of the skin, which keeps water in the tissue.Check Price on Amazon
Other ingredients work to draw water to the skin. This is a product that’s been around for over 90 years and is considered safe for topical use.
Aquaphor comes in a variety of formulas; the one we’re discussing here is Aquaphor Healing Ointment. This product’s ingredients are non-toxic and includes:
- Petrolatum (41%)
- Mineral oil
- Lanolin alcohol
This is a product that doesn’t contain fragrances, dyes, or preservatives. The petrolatum works to create a barrier on the skin that keeps moisture locked in. The other ingredients work to soothe, as well as bring moisture to dry, irritated skin.
But what happens if your dog eats Aquaphor? Will Aquaphor make your dog sick?
Aquaphor & DogsCheck Price on Amazon
The good news is that Aquaphor is not toxic to your dog! However, it can cause diarrhea and vomiting. And the amount of diarrhea and vomiting are related to your dog’s size and how much of the product he’s eaten.
While this skin-soothing product isn’t toxic to dogs, it’s still a good idea to call your vet. Aquaphor can have a severe laxative effect. And rarely, it could even set off an allergic reaction in dogs sensitive to any of its ingredients. This is why it’s important to call the vet if your fur baby has eaten any amount of Aquaphor.
You may also want to call the vet if your dog shows any of these symptoms:
- Tarry/bloody stool
- Frequent vomiting
- Abdominal pain or welling
- Loss of appetite
- Diarrhea that lasts longer than about 2 days
- Breathing difficulties
- Excessive scratching
Severe diarrhea and vomiting can leave your dog very dehydrated. In addition, your fur baby may be allergic to the product. These are reasons to call the vet right away.
This probably isn’t a medical emergency, but your vet will provide you with guidance on how to deal with the vomiting and diarrhea or other concerning signs. They’ll also let you know if your canine companion needs to come in to be checked.