My Dog Ate Newspaper What Should I Do?

Reviewed By Julie •  Updated: 05/21/20 •  3 min read
Dog Moderate Toxicity Level
The contents of the OurFitPets.com website, such as text, graphics, images, and other material contained on this site (“Content”) are for informational purposes only. The Content is not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinarian advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your veterinarian with any questions you may have regarding the medical condition of your pet. Never disregard professional advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website! Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase this item or service, we will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you. All opinions remain our own.

While newspapers aren’t as common as they used to be, they’re still around. And they’re still tempting for some dogs. Does your dog go after newspaper? Does he like to play with it, shred it or even eat it? Then you’ve come to the right place!

Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. Licensed vets are available 24/7 to answer your questions. No need to worry about your furry family member.

Why Does My Dog Eat Newspaper?

Your canine companion may have a penchant for eating paper for several reasons:

The Problem with a Dog Eating Newspaper

Newspapers are listed as non-toxic for dogs; however, some newspapers do use ink that could be toxic for your canine companion. However, the largest danger posed by eating newspaper is that it could cause an intestinal blockage.

The amount needed to cause this serious health issue depends on the size of your dog. Only a small amount of paper is needed to cause a bowel obstruction in small dogs, while larger dogs wouldn’t be affected too much.

It is strongly recommended to contact a Pet Poison Helpline or your veterinarian.

When it comes to the ink being toxic, most newspaper today use inks that a non-toxic; however, there are still a few that use inks that can poison dogs. Having said that, there’s a small chance of the ink poisoning your fur baby, and a higher chance he could develop a bowel obstruction. This type of medical problem is a medical emergency and needs prompt treatment by a vet.

Symptoms of Newspaper Intestinal Obstruction

If your fur baby’s eaten a large amount of newspaper, then you’ll definitely need to call the vet. However, if you’re not sure how much your dog has eaten, then watch for these symptoms that may indicate an intestinal blockage:

If your canine companion shows these symptoms, then call the vet immediately. This could be a life-threatening medical emergency.

Most dogs can survive this medical problem, but only if they receive prompt treatment.

Prevention of Newspaper Eating in Dogs

Dogs that eat a little tiny corner of newspaper once in a while should be OK. But a larger amount could cause serious health issues. The best way to keep your fur baby from eating newspaper is to simply keep the paper away from your dog. You’ll need to use whatever means possible if your canine companion really is fixated on the paper!

(Visited 2,850 times, 1 visits today)
Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. Licensed vets are available 24/7 to answer your questions. No need to worry about your furry family member.

Julie

Julie is a graduate of the University of North Carolina, Wilmington, where she studied Animal science. Though contrary to the opinion of her parents she was meant to study pharmacy, but she was in love with animals especially cats. Julie currently works in an animal research institute (NGO) in California and loves spending quality time with her little cat. She has the passion for making research about animals, how they survive, their way of life among others and publishes it. Julie is also happily married with two kids.

Keep Reading