My Dog Ate My AirPod What Should I Do?
Many pet parents are using AirPods today to listen to their favorite tracks. The AirPods leave your hands free to work while you enjoy some great music! But what happens if your dog eats an AirPod?
Has your dog eaten an AirPod? Are you worried the AirPod will make your dog sick? If so, you’ve come to the right place. We understand it can be scary when your dog eats something like this.
We’ve put together information about AirPods and whether they can make a dog sick. Let’s get started!
What are AirPods?
AirPods are wireless earbuds that can be used with Apple products. These earbuds connect to your favorite device via Bluetooth and don’t have wires that can become tangled and get in the way. The AirPods come in a plastic case that contains a battery to recharge the earbuds.
As you can imagine, if AirPods can fit in your ears, most dogs can easily eat and swallow an AirPod. But can an AirPod make your dog sick?
AirPods & Dogs
Let’s start by saying that AirPods & dogs are not a good mix. The earbuds are easy to swallow and can become choking hazards. However, if your dog swallows an AirPod with no problem, chances are the earbud will come through your dog’s digestive tract OK. You may find your AirPod in your dog’s poop within 24 to 48 hours after he ate it.
However, if your dog has eaten an AirPod, it’s important to call the vet right away. AirPods could become lodged in your dog’s digestive tract and cause intestinal blockage or other problems.
Treatment of AirPods Eaten by Dogs
Your vet will take x-rays to see where the AirPod is located in your dog’s digestive tract. In some cases, the AirPod may come out safely on its own. However, if it’s become stuck in the digestive tract, your fur baby may require surgery to safely remove the AirPod.
Prevention is Best
If you love AirPods, be sure to keep them out of your dog’s reach. And if your drop them, pick them up ASAP before your dog can find and eat them. Dogs sometimes eat the strangest things, including earbuds like AirPods! You want to keep your dog from swallowing them and ending up with a huge vet bill as a result.
We always say that prevention is the best medicine, and this applies to AirPods, too!