My Dog Ate A Sponge What Should I Do?
Dogs are curious about everything in their environment. And sometimes, that curiosity may lead a dog to eat something like a sponge! Yuck! But what happens if a dog eats a sponge? Can the sponge make a dog sick?
Has your dog eaten a sponge? Are you worried the sponge will make your dog sick? If so, you’ve come to the right place. We understand it can be scary when your dog eats something like this.
We’ve gathered information about sponges and whether they can make a dog sick. Let’s get started!
What is a Sponge?
A sponge is a household tool that’s used to clean. They’re made of soft, porous material and are used to clean a wide variety of surfaces. Sponges are used in the kitchen, bathroom, and any space in the home. They’re great at absorbing water and other liquids, as well as cleaning surfaces.
While household sponges were once made from sea creatures, today’s sponges are made from synthetic materials. These materials can include polyester, polyurethane, and cellulose.
So, what happens if your dog eats a sponge?
Sponges & Dogs
Sponges are usually not toxic in themselves. So, if your dog has eaten a very small portion of a sponge, chances are he will be OK. Those small pieces of sponge will usually come out in your dog’s poop in 24 to 48 hours.
However, sponges can pose some health risks to dogs. For instance, if a dog eats a large portion of a sponge, the sponge bits could gather together in the dogs digestive system and create an obstruction. This can be a life-threatening condition if not treated.
Another problem is that the sponge may contain cleaning chemicals that are toxic to dogs. If the sponge was not rinsed prior to the dog eating it, your dog could ingest enough of a toxic substance to become very ill.
In addition, sponges can harbor dirt, bacteria, and more that can make a dog pretty sick.
What to Do If Your Dog Has Eaten a Sponge
If your dog has eaten a sponge, try to see how much of the sponge he’s eaten. Then determine if the sponge could have contained harmful chemicals.
Next, note down your dog’s size, weight, and health. Now, you’re ready to call the vet.
Provide the vet with all of the details you gathered, including the amount of the sponge your fur baby has eaten, your dog’s size & weight, and his overall health. With this information, the vet can make a decision on how to help your dog.
In some cases, the vet may ask that you monitor your canine companion for any symptoms over a specific time period. They will explain what to watch for and when to call them in case of a problem.
The good news is that in most cases, a dog eating a sponge should be OK. If he does get sick, getting your dog to the vet ASAP makes a huge difference in his prognosis.
In the future, it’s a good idea to keep all sponges out of your dog’s reach. Be sure he has safe dog toys and chews so he’s not tempted to eat sponges again. Prevention is always the best medicine!