Vitamin gummies are extremely popular with adults and kids alike. Do you have gummy vitamins at home? Has your dog eaten a gummy vitamin? If so, then you’ve come to the right place.
We’ve put together some information about gummy vitamins and whether or not they can make your dog sick. Let’s get started!
What are Gummy Vitamins?
Gummy vitamins are chewable vitamins that are similar to gummy candies. They’re a little bit gelatinous and come in various flavors, shapes, and colors. Gummies are one of the most popular vitamins for kids and adults. They’re also great for anyone who has trouble swallowing pills. You know how some vitamins are the size of horse pills! Well, who wouldn’t opt for a gummy in that case!
Most gummy vitamins are made with gelatin, corn starch, water, sugar, and added colorings. Flavors can include raspberry, lemon, orange, and cherry. One note about the ingredients—many gummies are made with sugar; however, many manufacturers are starting to use xylitol to sweeten gummy vitamins.
Can gummy vitamins make your dog sick?
Gummy Vitamins & Dogs
In most cases, gummy vitamins made with sugar will not cause a problem. However, it is possible to overdose on some vitamins. Vitamin D, Vitamin A and Iron are the most common ones to overdose on.
If a dog accidentally eats a bunch of gummy vitamins, he could experience some health issues. It all depends on what vitamins were eaten and how many IUs per kilogram your fur baby has eaten. Vitamin D and iron can definitely be toxic to dogs. Vitamin A can also be toxic but is not usually as dangerous as these other vitamins.
If your dog has eaten a whole bottle of gummy vitamins, then it’s a good idea to call the vet.
On the other hand, if the gummy vitamins contained xylitol, this could lead to xylitol toxicity in your dog, which is a medical emergency.
Symptoms of Vitamin Toxicity in Dogs
Your dog may show these symptoms if he’s eaten vitamins:
- Muscle tremors
- Paralysis (rare)
- Loss of appetite
- Blood in feces
- Increase in thirst and urine
- Excessive drooling
- Abdominal pain
- Rapid heartbeat
If you notice any of these symptoms in your dog, it’s best to call the vet as soon as possible. This could be a life-threatening emergency.
Xylitol Toxicity in Dogs
Xylitol is an artificial sweetener that occurs naturally in berries, plums, corn, oats, mushrooms, lettuce, trees, and other fruits. The FDA has ruled xylitol is safe for human consumption. But it is a deadly toxin for dogs, which requires prompt medical treatment.
In dogs, xylitol is absorbed quickly, which leads to a release of insulin from the pancreas. This leads to a decrease in blood sugar levels, which can be life-threatening.
Symptoms of Xylitol Toxicity in Dogs
You may notice these symptoms if your dog has eaten xylitol:
- Lack of coordination
If you notice these symptoms in your dog, call the vet immediately. This is a life-threatening medical emergency.
Treatment of Vitamin Poisoning in Dogs
Treatment depends on how severe your dog’s symptoms are; however, your fur baby will more than likely need to be hospitalized for a time. The vet may choose the following treatments to help your dog:
- Induce vomiting and use activated charcoal
- Intravenous medication and hydration (medications and fluids through an IV)
- Antibiotics (if needed)
- Medication to relieve digestive tract irritation
Your fur baby may need to be hospitalized overnight or longer, depending on his condition. During this time, the vet will monitor your dog’s condition, including his organ function, to ensure his systems function as they should.
Once your dog is in stable condition, the vet may allow your fur baby to return home. It’s imperative to follow the vet’s directions and ensure your dog gets the care he needs. He will benefit from a quiet place to rest, along with food and water. Be sure to call the vet if you notice any concerning issues in your dog.
The prognosis is very good for dogs who receive prompt treatment for xylitol toxicity. The key is getting your dog to the vet as soon as possible to begin treatment. Doing so could save your dog’s life.