My Dog Ate M&Ms What Should I Do?

Reviewed By Kyoko •  Updated: 07/17/22 •  3 min read
Dog Severe Toxicity Level
The contents of the website, such as text, graphics, images, and other material contained on this site (“Content”) are for informational purposes only. The Content is not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinarian advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your veterinarian with any questions you may have regarding the medical condition of your pet. Never disregard professional advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website! Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase this item or service, we will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you. All opinions remain our own.

My Dog Ate M&Ms What Should I Do?

Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. Licensed vets are available 24/7 to answer your questions. No need to worry about your furry family member.

M&Ms are a yummy snack and can be just enough to give in to that chocolate craving you’re having. However, what happens if your dog eats M&Ms? Can the candy make your dog sick?

Has your dog eaten M&Ms? Are you worried the M&Ms will make your dog sick? If so, you’ve come to the right place. We understand it can be scary when your dog eats something like this.

We’ve put together some information about M&Ms and whether they can make a dog sick. Let’s get started!

It is strongly recommended to contact a Pet Poison Helpline or your veterinarian.

What are M&Ms?

M&Ms are small round pieces of chocolate that are covered with a hard candy shell. The pieces of candy come in different colors, including orange, red, yellow, green, blue, and brown. And each piece of candy has an “M” printed in the middle.

This candy originally came from the US, where it was developed in 1941 and is now sold in over 100 countries worldwide. The candy is sold with a popular slogan, “M&Ms melt in your mouth, not in your hand.”

M&Ms come in different varieties but are all made with semi-sweet chocolate. They’re great, and most people enjoy these candies! However, what happens if a dog eats M&Ms?

M&Ms & Dogs

Unfortunately, M&Ms are toxic to dogs. The candy contains chocolate, which is a toxin for dogs. Chocolate contains two substances called theobromine and caffeine that dogs are not able to metabolize.

What’s more, the darker the chocolate, the most toxins it has for dogs. The dose that is toxic can vary, too, which makes matters more challenging. A small amount of semi-sweet chocolate for a larger dog may not cause any symptoms or have dire results. However, if a small dog ate the same amount of chocolate, the dog could become seriously ill and even die.

Symptoms of Chocolate Ingestion in Dogs

You may notice these symptoms if your dog has eaten M&Ms:

If you notice these symptoms in your dog, call the vet immediately. This is an emergency. Don’t wait to see if your dog’s symptoms will improve or worsen. He needs to see the vet right now.

Treatment of Chocolate Ingestion in Dogs

Treatment may depend on the type of chocolate eaten. If the dog has recently eaten the M&Ms, the vet may try to induce vomiting and administer activated charcoal.

In addition, the vet may give your dog an IV with fluids and to make it easier to administer other medications as needed. Chances are your fur baby may need to be hospitalized until he’s in stable condition.

The prognosis is best for dogs that receive prompt medical treatment. And we always say that prevention is the best medicine! Be sure to keep M&Ms and other chocolate candies out of your dog’s reach.

And if your canine companion loves chocolate, you may find doggie treats made with carob chips. Dogs love these and don’t mind missing out on chocolate!


(Visited 60 times, 1 visits today)
Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. Licensed vets are available 24/7 to answer your questions. No need to worry about your furry family member.


Kyoko is from a family of 3 and moved to New York with her parents and siblings when she was 13. Kyoko is fond of spending a great amount of time with pets, specifically her beagle Luna and cat Missy. Her boyfriend often complains that she spends too much time giving attention to their animals. Kyoko has written dozens of articles concerning pets and is aiming at owning a pet shop one day!

Keep Reading