My Dog Ate a Waffle Will He Get Sick?
Waffles, who doesn’t love them? What’s better than a hot waffle covered with melting butter and maple syrup? Who can resist a waffle? Just like us, most dogs seem to love waffles! But are waffles OK for dogs?
What are Waffles Made Of?
When you consider giving a snack to your dog, it’s always important to consider the ingredients in that snack. Having said that, waffles are pretty safe. They’re generally made with:
Some ingredients that may pose a problem for dogs include sugar, milk, and the fat. Otherwise, waffles are safe for dogs.
Problem Ingredients in Waffles
In large amounts, sugar can be very bad for dogs, just like it is for us. For instance, too much sugar on a regular basis can lead a dog to being overweight, become obese, develop diabetes, heart disease and tooth decay.
When it comes to the milk, there are some dogs who are lactose intolerant or who are allergic to milk. The milk in the waffle could be enough to make your dog very sick, especially if he’s allergic to cow’s milk.
The salt in a waffle won’t amount too much; however, if your dog regularly eats waffles made with salt, he could develop some health issues including heart problems.
Finally, the fat can be a problem because of all the calories it has. Does that are sedentary or who are older could gain weight if their diet included too much waffle.
Waffle Toppings: Another Problem
Waffle toppings can be worse for dogs than the waffles themselves. That’s because the toppings usually contain a high amount of sugar. If not, they may be sweetened with xylitol, which is a known toxin to dogs.
Sugary fruit toppings, syrups, chocolates, and more are common on waffles. Another dairy topping that packs in the calories and sugar is whipped cream.
Are Waffles Safe for Dogs?
The answer is yes, in moderation, once in a while, and in small pieces. Having said that, it’s always best to only give your fur baby a little bit of the topping and not more.
If your dog steals and eats several waffles, about the worst that may happen is that he’ll have an upset digestive system. You may have noticed that he’s vomiting, having diarrhea, and really isn’t interested in eating. Those symptoms will pass in a few hours to a day after eating the waffle.