My Dog Ate A Melatonin Gummy What Should I Do?
Do you take melatonin gummies to sleep better at night? Has your dog eaten a melatonin gummy? Then you’ve come to the right place!
What are Melatonin Gummies?
Melatonin gummies are supplements that contain melatonin. They’re made into cute gummy shapes, which are perfect for anyone who has trouble swallowing pills.Check Price on Amazon
Melatonin is a hormone that is used to regulate our sleep cycles. Some people low in this hormone have a very difficult time sleeping. However, if they use the supplement, some people have reported sleeping better than ever. Melatonin helps you fall asleep harder and faster. These are safe for people who may be unable to take sleeping medications.
It’s interesting to note that melatonin is sometimes used to treat dogs. It’s been used to treat anxiety, insomnia, alopecia (hair loss), Cushing’s disease, and more.
Will Melatonin Hurt My Dog?
In most cases, if your dog’s eaten just one pill (depending on the pill’s dose and your dog’s size), your fur baby should be OK. However, if the dose was too big, then your dog could show these symptoms:
- Upset stomach
- Insulin resistance (in diabetic dogs)
- Increased heart rate
- Allergic reaction
You should always call the vet if you’re worried about any symptoms your dog is showing. Your vet will have the information needed to see if they need to see your dog or not.
Xylitol in Melatonin GummiesCheck Price on Amazon
While most dogs will be OK after eating one melatonin gummy, you’ll want to check the product’s packaging. Take a look at the melatonin bottle and read the label. Did the gummies contain xylitol? If so, then you should call the vet right away. Let them know the dose of the pill, and they’ll let you know if you need to bring your dog in or not.
The problem with xylitol is that it is extremely toxic to dogs.
Symptoms of Xylitol Poisoning in Dogs
You may notice these symptoms if your dog has ingested xylitol:
- Lack of coordination
- Inability to work/move
Symptoms of xylitol poisoning usually appear within 30 minutes after the dog ingested it. If you notice any of these symptoms in your dog, be sure to call the vet immediately.
While melatonin may be safe for dogs, never give your dog this supplement unless the vet has advised this. And always read the product packaging when your dog does get into something he shouldn’t. The product could contain toxic substances that could make him very sick.