My Dog Ate Kalanchoe What Should I Do?

By Kyoko •  Updated: 01/03/21 •  3 min read
The contents of the OurFitPets.com website, such as text, graphics, images, and other material contained on this site (“Content”) are for informational purposes only. The Content is not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinarian advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your veterinarian with any questions you may have regarding the medical condition of your pet. Never disregard professional advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website!

Kalanchoes are very popular houseplants. Who can resist these pretty, happy-looking flowering plants? You can’t help but smile when you see one! One plant can be covered with literally hundreds of flowers, in a wide variety of colors. Plus, the plant’s scalloped green leaves are also pretty. The entire presentation is bright and happy!

Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. No waiting for appointments or office hours. No high fees. No need to worry about your furry family member.

However, what happens if your dog eats part of a Kalanchoe plant?

Can My Dog Be Lactose Intolerant?
Can My Dog Be Lactose Intolerant?

What is a Kalanchoe?

Kalanchoes are succulent houseplants that have long-lasting flowers. They’re easy to care and very pretty. It’s also quite easy to get them to bloom again.

This plant also goes by some other names including Devil’s Backbone, Mother of Millions, and the Chandelier plant. These plants belong to a group of plants that contain cardiac toxins, which are called bufadienolides and cardenolides. These substances act in very similar way as digitalis and are present in all parts of the plant.

However, the flowers are even more toxic. This is because they contain the highest level of cardiac toxins.

Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. No waiting for appointments or office hours. No high fees. No need to worry about your furry family member.

Kalanchoe Poisoning in Dogs

Kalanchoes are very toxic to dogs, no matter which part of the plant they eat. You may notice these symptoms if your dog has eaten some Kalanchoe:

If you know for sure or suspect that your dog has eaten some Kalanchoe, then call the vet immediately. This is a life-threatening medical emergency.

Treatment of Kalanchoe Poisoning in Dogs

You’ll need to let the vet know about how much your dog has eaten, and how long ago this happened. The vet will also ask about the symptoms your dog is experiencing. If possible, take part of the plant in with you to the vet.

The vet will perform a physical exam and will run lab tests to see how the toxin is affecting your dog’s organs. The vet may also want an MRI or a CT scan to check for internal damage.

The vet may treat your dog with activated charcoal to bind the toxins and keep them from being absorbed. Gastric lavage may also be used to clear the toxins from your dog’s stomach. Additional treatment will depend on your dog’s symptoms.

With prompt medical care, your dog has a very good chance of a full recovery. After this experience, it’s probably a good idea to avoid having Kalanchoes where your dog can get at them. These are really very dangerous plants for dogs.

(Visited 927 times, 1 visits today)

Kyoko

Kyoko is from a family of 3 and moved to New York with her parents and siblings when she was 13. Kyoko is fond of spending a great amount of time with pets, specifically her beagle Luna and cat Missy. Her boyfriend often complains that she spends too much time giving attention to their animals. Kyoko has written dozens of articles concerning pets and is aiming at owning a pet shop one day!

Keep Reading

[class^="wpforms-"]
[class^="wpforms-"]