Many pet parents take supplements for various health issues, such as creaky joints. One popular supplement to improve joints is hyaluronic acid pills. But what happens if a dog eats hyaluronic pills? Can hyaluronic pills make a dog sick?
Has your dog eaten hyaluronic acid pills? Are you worried that the hyaluronic pills will make your dog sick? If so, you’ve come to the right place. We understand it can be scary when your dog eats something like this.
We’ve gathered information about hyaluronic acid and whether it can make a dog sick. Let’s get started!
What is Hyaluronic Acid?
Hyaluronic acid is a natural substance that’s found in the fluid of the eyes and joints. It works as a cushion and lubricant in the joints and other tissues.
Many people take hyaluronic acid by mouth to treat aging, painful joints. The substance helps joints move smoothly. It also prevents pain and injury from bones grinding against one another. Hyaluronic acid also keeps various parts of the body hydrated, including the joints.
While hyaluronic acid is safe for humans (when used as directed), what about dogs? Can hyaluronic acid make a dog sick?
Hyaluronic Acid & Dogs
The good news is that hyaluronic acid is not toxic for dogs! However, it may cause GI upset in some dogs.
Symptoms of Hyaluronic Acid Ingestion in Dogs
You may notice these symptoms if your dog eats hyaluronic acid:
- Reduced appetite
These symptoms may last between 12 to 24 hours; however, if they last longer, it’s best to call the vet. Persistent diarrhea and vomiting can cause dehydration in your dog.
Treatment of Hyaluronic Acid Ingestion in Dogs
The vet has medications that can stop diarrhea and vomiting. They may also give your fur baby medications to treat digestive tract irritation. In addition, if your fur baby has become dehydrated, he may need an IV with fluids. This works to rehydrate your dog again.
The vet will treat any other symptoms as they arise. They may also recommend that your dog eat a bland diet of boneless chicken and rice for a few days. This allows the digestive tract to rest and recover after being so irritated.
The good news is that most dogs will make a full recovery after eating hyaluronic acid. In the future, it’s best to keep hyaluronic acid pills out of your dog’s reach. You’ll both be happier for it!