Many pet parents have aches and pains that can be treated with OTC medication. One pain medication that’s very popular is Naproxen.
While it’s great to have medication on hand to treat minor pain issues, what happens if a dog eats Naproxen? Accidents can happen very quickly. If you happen to drop a pill and your dog sees it, he may snarf it up before you can say, “No!” or “Drop it!” Can Naproxen make a dog sick?
Has your dog eaten Naproxen? Are you worried that Naproxen will make your dog sick? If so, you’ve come to the right place. We understand it can be scary when your dog eats something like this.
We’ve gathered information about Naproxen and whether it can make a dog sick. Let’s get started!
What is Naproxen?
Naproxen, also called Aleve, is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medication used to treat pain and inflammation. This medication is available over the counter, though there are also prescription doses of this medicine available.
While Naproxen is safe for humans (at the correct dosage), what about dogs? Can Naproxen make a dog sick?
Naproxen & Dogs
Naproxen is sometimes prescribed in veterinary medicine for dogs. However, the dose is much smaller for dogs than for humans. The typical dose for a dog is about 0.5mg to 1.5mg per pound of body weight. And the frequency of giving the medication is usually every other day or every 48 hours.
A human dose of Naproxen, such as one pill, is about 220mg. This amount of the medication is highly toxic to dogs. In addition, this medication can be very dangerous for dogs that have blood disorders, kidney or liver disease, or heart failure.
Symptoms of Naproxen Ingestion in Dogs
You may notice these symptoms if your dog has eaten Naproxen:
- Abdominal pain
- Black, tarry stools
- Kidney damage
- Liver damage
- Loss of appetite
- Pale, mucus membranes
- Ulcers (stomach)
- Vomiting (with or without blood)
If your dog has any of these symptoms, call the vet immediately. This is an emergency.
Note: Do not induce vomiting unless the vet suggests it.
Treatment of Naproxen Ingestion in Dogs
The vet will treat symptoms as they arise. For dogs that have eaten a large dose of Naproxen, the vet may induce vomiting or use activated charcoal to keep the dog’s system from absorbing the medication.
In addition, your fur baby may require an IV for fluids and to administer medications. In some cases, if a dog has developed significant bleeding, the vet may need to give the dog transfusions.
Your fur baby may need to be hospitalized, depending on the severity of his condition.
The prognosis is best for dogs that receive prompt medical treatment after eating Naproxen. In the future, it’s best to keep Naproxen and all medications out of your dog’s reach. Prevention is always the best medicine.