Insulation is used in your home to make it more energy efficient and to keep it warmer or cooler. But you know how curious a dog can be. If you’re doing an insulation project on your home and your fur baby finds the insulation, there’s a chance he will eat it. But what happens if a dog eats insulation?
Has your dog eaten insulation? Are you worried the insulation will make your dog sick? If so, you’ve come to the right place. We understand it can be scary when your dog eats something like this.
We’ve gathered information about insulation and whether it can make a dog sick. Let’s get started!
What is Insulation?
Insulation is used in many parts of a home. You can find insulation in the walls, roof, ceiling, and attack. There are different forms of insulation, and they can be made from different materials. For instance, some insulation is made from:
- Rock wool
- Polyurethane foam
- And more
While insulation is beneficial to your home, what happens if a dog eats it? Can insulation make a dog sick?
Insulation & Dogs
Unfortunately, insulation can make a dog very sick. Some forms of insulation contain chemicals meant to keep rodents and other animals from eating the material. In addition, most types of insulation could cause an intestinal blockage in a dog. This is a condition that can be fatal if left untreated.
What’s more, certain types of insulation are made with tiny glass fibers. After being eaten, these glass fibers could cause damage anywhere from a dog’s mouth to his digestive tract.
Symptoms of Insulation Ingestion in Dogs
You may notice these symptoms if your dog has eaten insulation:
- Excessive thirst
- Swelling in the mouth or tongue
- Excessive drooling
- Loss of consciousness
- Abdominal pain & swelling
If you notice any of these symptoms in your dog, call the vet immediately. This is an emergency.
Treatment of Insulation Ingestion in Dogs
Treatment of insulation ingestion in dogs depends on your fur baby’s symptoms. For instance, if your dog has developed an intestinal obstruction, the vet may need to perform surgery. The surgery is done to safely remove the blockage and repair any damage the insulation may have caused.
If your dog has been poisoned by the insulation, the vet will treat these symptoms as needed. Treatment may include inducing vomiting (but this depends on the type of insulation eaten) or activated charcoal. The vet will next treat other symptoms as they arise.
The prognosis is best for dogs who receive prompt medical treatment after eating insulation. And in the future, it’s best to keep all forms of insulation out of your dog’s reach. Prevention is always the best medicine!