Don’t you just love chocolate? Many pet parents are chocoholics (people who LOVE chocolate)! And you can bet that if your dog sees you eating something so great, he will want some, too! Some chocolate candies are wrapped in foil, making it a challenge for dogs to only eat the chocolate. It could be that a dog eats the foil-wrapped chocolate! But can this make a dog sick?
Has your dog eaten foil-wrapped chocolate? Are you worried the foil-wrapped chocolate could make your dog sick? If so, you’ve come to the right place. We understand it can be scary when your dog eats something like this.
We’ve put together information about foil-wrapped chocolate and whether it can make your dog sick. Let’s get started!
What is Foil-Wrapped Chocolate?
Foil-wrapped chocolate is any chocolate candy that’s wrapped in foil. Some are wrapped in individual foil-wrapped packages, such as Hershey Kisses. And some chocolate bars are wrapped in foil!
While foil-wrapped chocolate is safe for humans (in moderation), what about dogs? Can foil-wrapped chocolate make a dog sick?
Foil-Wrapped Chocolate & Dogs
Unfortunately, foil-wrapped chocolate can make a dog sick. There are a couple of problems with foil-wrapped chocolate.
First, chocolate is very toxic to dogs and can make a dog very sick or even cause death. However, it depends on the type of chocolate, the dog’s size & weight, and how much chocolate the dog has eaten. Cocoa powder, baking chocolate, and dark chocolate are the most toxic to dogs. Chocolate contains two substances that make it toxic for a canine, which are theobromine and caffeine. The darker the chocolate, the more of these substances the chocolate contains and the more toxic it is to the dog.
Second, foil-wrapped chocolate’s other problem is the foil. The foil could just go through the dog’s system and come out in his poop. That’s OK. But the issue is if the dog eats enough foil that, it causes a blockage somewhere in his digestive tract. This can cause death if left untreated.
What to Do If Your Dog Has Eaten Foil-Wrapped Chocolate
We strongly urge you to call the vet right away. There are some serious issues that could arise if your dog has eaten foil-wrapped chocolate. And the more of this candy he’s eaten, the more serious this can be.
The vet has the experience and knowledge needed to provide you with the right advice. They can explain the symptoms to watch for and when to call in the event your dog develops serious symptoms.
So, please call your vet right away. Your dog’s life may depend on you taking this action.