Many pet parents keep plants and flowers in their gardens, some of which may be toxic to their dogs. For instance, arum lilies are beautiful flowers that are popular in gardens. But what happens if a dog eats an arum lily?
Has your dog eaten an arum lily? Are you worried that the arum lily will make your dog sick? If so, you’ve come to the right place. We understand it can be scary when your dog eats something like this.
We’ve gathered information about arum lilies and whether they can make a dog sick. Let’s get started!
What is an Arum Lily?
The arum lily, also called the calla lily, is a beautiful flower that originally came from the southern part of Africa. The plants are grown from a bulb, which is planted in the garden or raised in the house. The resulting plant develops these amazing flowers in colors, including pink, purple, green, orange, and more.
Arum lilies are tube-shaped flowers that have waxy, thick petals. They’re not true lilies; however, they are often mistaken for lilies.
While these flowers are beautiful, what happens if a dog eats an arum lily?
Arum Lilies & Dogs
Unfortunately, the arum lily is toxic to dogs. These plants contain calcium oxalate, which can cause severe burning and swelling of the lips & tongue, the esophagus, and the stomach. The plant can also cause GI upset.
And if a dog has eaten many arum lilies, the poison in the plants can cause renal failure, which is life-threatening.
Symptoms of Arum Lily Ingestion in Dogs
You may notice these symptoms if your dog has eaten an arum lily:
- Swelling of the lips and tongue
- Swelling of the mouth
- Difficulty breathing
- Difficulty swallowing
- Pawing at the face
- Foaming at the mouth
- Excessive drooling
- Oral pain
If you notice any of these symptoms in your dog, call the vet immediately. This is an emergency.
Treatment of Arum Lily Ingestion in Dogs
The vet may first induce vomiting and use activated charcoal to remove the toxin from your dog’s system. In addition, the vet will remove any remnants of the plant that may be in your fur baby’s mouth. In some cases, if your canine companion is having trouble breathing due to swelling or other issues, the vet may insert an esophageal tube to keep his airway open. The vet may also need to give your dog supplemental oxygen.
The vet may also give your dog IV fluids to flush the toxins out of his body and keep your fur baby hydrated. Depending on your dog’s condition, he may need to be hospitalized until he’s in stable condition.
The prognosis is best for dogs who receive prompt medical treatment after eating arum lilies. In the future, it’s best to keep arum lilies out of your dog’s reach and out of his yard. You’ll both be happier for it!