Are you familiar with erythritol? This is another sweetener that’s very popular with people who are avoiding sugar. With more people using this sweetener, more dogs are also being exposed to erythritol. This can happen by sharing food with our dogs or when dogs help themselves! But what happens if a dog eats erythritol?
Has your dog eaten erythritol? Are you worried the erythritol will make your dog sick? If so, you’ve come to the right place. We understand it can be scary when your dog eats something like this.
We’ve put together some information about erythritol and whether it can make a dog sick. Let’s get started!
What is Erythritol?
Erythritol is a natural sweetener that’s been around for quite some time. The sweetener is naturally found in fruits such as grapes, pears, watermelon, and others. This is a substance that is also man-made. Erythritol is a carbohydrate known as a sugar alcohol, which many people use as a sugar substitute.
The sweetener has been on the market since the 1990s and was declared safe for humans by the WHO (World Health Organization) in 1999 and in 2001 by the FDA. This sugar alcohol is also safe for people who have diabetes, as this substance has no effect on glucose or insulin levels.
While erythritol is safe for humans, what about dogs? Can erythritol make a dog sick?
Erythritol & Dogs
Fortunately, erythritol is considered safe for dogs. However, in large quantities, it can make a dog sick.
Symptoms of Erythritol Ingestion in Dogs
You may notice these symptoms if your dog eats erythritol:
It’s possible a dog may experience one or all symptoms. If your fur baby has severe symptoms, then it’s necessary to call the vet immediately. And if your dog has diarrhea and vomiting that go longer than 24 hours, it’s also necessary to call the vet.
The good news is that most dogs who eat erythritol will make a complete recovery. However, it’s best to keep this and other sweeteners out of your dog’s reach.