My Dog Ate Keflex What Should I Do?
Has your dog eaten Keflex? Are you worried the Keflex will make your dog sick? If so, then you’ve come to the right place. We know it can be scary when your dog eats something he shouldn’t.
In this article, we’ll take a look at Keflex and whether or not it can make your dog sick. Let’s get started!
What is Keflex?
Keflex, also known as Cephalexin, Rilexine, and Vetolexin, is an oral antibiotic used to treat pyoderma infections and other bacterial skin infections in dogs. It’s often also used off-label for cats to treat skin infections. In addition, Keflex is also used off-label to treat urinary tract infections in both dogs and cats.Check Price on Amazon
Keflex is a first-generation cephalosporin drug. It can be taken with or without food.
While veterinarians do prescribe Keflex for use in dogs, can it make a dog sick if he ate Keflex?
Keflex & Dogs
Dogs may become sick from eating Keflex; however, it depends on the dog’s size and the amount of Keflex eaten. The normal dose for dogs is about 15mg for each pound of body weight.
If you’re not sure how to figure the dose your dog has had, then it’s best to call the vet. Let them know the dosage of the Keflex and how much of the medication your dog has eaten (if possible).
Symptoms of Keflex Ingestion in Dogs
Most of the time, your dog should be OK unless he’s eaten a large amount of Keflex. For dogs that eat a little bit of Keflex, you may notice these symptoms:
It’s possible these symptoms could last for up to 48 hours. However, if they last longer, then it’s a good idea to call the vet. The problem here is that continuous diarrhea and/or vomiting could cause dehydration in your dog.Check Price on Amazon
Another problem is that some dogs may be allergic to the medication. You may notice these symptoms if your dog is having an allergic reaction to Keflex:
- Furious scratching
- Swollen face
- Breathing difficulties
- And more
If your dog is showing any sign of an allergic reaction, then call the vet right away. If your canine companion is having breathing difficulty, this could be a medical emergency that requires prompt medical treatment.
In most cases, dogs that have eaten Keflex will make a complete recovery if they receive prompt medical care. For dogs that have an allergic reaction, they may need to be hospitalized for a few days to ensure they’re stabilized before coming home.
As always, if you’re concerned about your dog eating Keflex, then be sure to call the vet. They’ll have the right advice and guidance on what you need to next for your canine companion!