My Dog Ate Craisins What Should I Do?
What’s better than craisins for a snack? Many people love craisins! And we’re pretty sure their dogs come begging when they see their pet parents eating craisins! But can craisins make a dog sick?
Has your dog eaten craisins? Are you worried the craisins will make your dog sick? If so, you’ve come to the right place. We understand it can be scary when your dog eats something like this.
We’ve put together some information about craisins and whether they can make a dog sick. Let’s get started!
What are Craisins?
Craisins are dried cranberries! They’re made by dehydrating fresh cranberries in a process that’s similar to raisins. Craisins are popular in bread, cereal, salads, cookies, or enjoyed on their own! These dried cranberries are sometimes called craisins because they look very similar to raisins. Dried cranberries can be a healthy snack, as they contain vitamins and nutrients, along with a high amount of dietary fiber.
Some brands of cranberries are made with a little sugar, while others have a lot of added sugar. Craisins made with a little sugar can be a healthy snack!
While craisins can be healthy treats for humans, what about dogs? Can craisins make a dog sick?
Craisins & Dogs
First, craisins that have low sugar content can be healthy for dogs. However, dogs should only eat craisins in moderation. That’s because many brands of dried cranberries contain high amounts of sugar. Sugar, in high amounts, can make a dog sick.
Symptoms of Craisin Ingestion in Dogs
You may notice these symptoms if your dog has eaten a large number of sugary craisins:
- Diarrhea (may contain blood)
- Lack of appetite
- Excessive drooling
- Dilated pupils
If you notice these symptoms in your dog, then it’s best to call the vet. Diarrhea and vomiting that lasts longer than 12 to 24 hours could lead to dehydration in your dog.
The vet has medication that can treat diarrhea, vomiting, and other symptoms that your dog may have after eating too many craisins. And if your dog is dehydrated, the vet may treat your dog with IV fluids.
Craisins are safe for dogs to enjoy as a once-in-a-while treat. The best craisins are those that contain only low amounts of sugar. Craisins can be healthy for dogs; however, if your dog eats too many, it’s best to call the vet! The good news is that most dogs who eat too many craisins will make a full recovery!