My Dog Ate a Donut What Should I Do?
Who doesn’t like a donut once in a while? They’re so tasty and come in many varieties and flavors! As you sit enjoying your donut, does your dog come up begging for you to share? If so, we’re not surprised! Dogs love to eat things their pet parents eat, and they expect a piece from their pack leader! But what happens if a dog eats a donut?
Has your dog eaten donut? Are you worried the donut will make your dog sick? If so, you’ve come to the right place. We understand it can be scary when your dog eats something like this.
We’ve put together information about donuts and whether they can make a dog sick. Let’s get started!
What is a Donut?
A donut (also called a doughnut) is a great food made from leavened, fried dough! However, that description doesn’t really capture the yummies of a donut. Nothing’s better than a fresh donut with a great topping. You can find donuts at bakeries, grocery stores, commercially produced, and more.
Donuts are usually in a ring shape, and some may be covered with a topping and/or filled with fruit and more. However, there are other types of donuts, such as longjohns (long donuts), twists, and more.
Basic donut recipes may include the following ingredients:
While donuts are safe for humans to enjoy in moderation, what about dogs? Can donuts make a dog sick?
Donuts & Dogs
The good news is that the basic ingredients of a donut are not toxic to dogs. However, donuts are not healthy for dogs. That’s because donuts contain high amounts of sugar and fat. If a dog eats donuts regularly, he could become overweight or obese. He may also develop diabetes, heart disease, and joint problems.
The other trouble with donuts could be in their toppings. For instance, if a donut has chocolate frosting, the chocolate is toxic to dogs and could make a dog sick.
What to Do If Your Dog’s Eaten a Donut
The first thing is not to panic. Try to figure out how much of the donut (or how many donuts) your dog has eaten. And look to see if the topping could contain anything harmful, such as chocolate.
If your dog has eaten several donuts, then it’s best to call the vet right away. The problem here is that your dog could develop diarrhea and vomiting that require treatment.
If your dog has eaten donuts with chocolate or any other toxic ingredients, then call the vet immediately. This is an emergency.
Finally, if your dog has only had a bite of donut, chances are he will be fine. That would be the case even if the donut had some chocolate on it. Be sure to monitor your dog’s condition and call the vet for any concerning symptoms.
The good news is that most dogs will be just fine if they eat a donut. And a dog that eats a lot of donuts may need a couple of days to relax and recoup. Otherwise, he should be just fine!