My Dog Ate a Ketchup Packet What Should I Do?

Reviewed By Julie •  Updated: 08/12/21 •  3 min read
Dog Moderate Toxicity Level
The contents of the website, such as text, graphics, images, and other material contained on this site (“Content”) are for informational purposes only. The Content is not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinarian advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your veterinarian with any questions you may have regarding the medical condition of your pet. Never disregard professional advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website! Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase this item or service, we will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you. All opinions remain our own.

When you eat out, it’s common for the ketchup to be served in small packets. These small packets usually have just the right amount of ketchup inside! However, what happens if your dog eats a ketchup packet?

Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. Licensed vets are available 24/7 to answer your questions. No need to worry about your furry family member.

Has your dog eaten a ketchup packet? Are you worried the ketchup packet will make your dog sick? If so, then you’ve come to the right place. We understand it can be scary when your dog eats something he shouldn’t.

In this article, we’ll take a look at ketchup packets and whether or not they can make a dog sick. Let’s get started!

What is a Ketchup Packet?

A ketchup packet is a small container made of foil and/or plastic film. The packets contain single servings of ketchup. To use the packet, you just have to tear off a corner or one end and then squeeze the ketchup out. Then you can enjoy the ketchup on your burger and fries or other foods!

It is strongly recommended to contact a Pet Poison Helpline or your veterinarian.

Ketchup packets are commonly found at restaurants, fast food places, and even at the grocery store! The packets are easy to use and clean up. They’re also easy to take in the car when you have to eat on the go.

While ketchup packages are pretty handy, what happens if a dog eats a ketchup packet? Will the packet make a dog sick?

Ketchup Packets & Dogs

Thankfully the small amount of ketchup in the packet will not harm your dog. While ketchup does contain some ingredients that are toxic to dogs (such as garlic & onion powder), the ketchup only contains a small amount of these ingredients. Most dogs will not get sick from the ketchup.

On the other hand, the packet could pose a health problem for a dog. This is because if the packet’s eaten, it could become lodged in the digestive tract and cause an intestinal blockage. The packet could even cause a dog to choke. So, the packet is more worrisome than the ketchup.

Keep in mind that the larger the dog, the higher the probability the packet will go through his digestive system without any problem. The packet usually passes through and comes out in the dog’s poop. However, if a small dog eats a ketchup packet, there’s a higher chance the packet could cause choking or an intestinal blockage.

Symptoms of Ketchup Packet Ingestion in Dogs

You may notice these symptoms if your dog has eaten a ketchup packet:

If your dog shows any of these symptoms, call the vet immediately. This is an emergency.

If your dog is choking, the vet will try to remove the ketchup packet with an endoscopic procedure. This is done under general anesthesia, so your dog will be comfortable during the procedure.

For dogs that have an intestinal blockage, the vet may need to perform emergency surgery to remove the packet.

The good news is that dogs who receive prompt medical care have an excellent chance of making a complete recovery! And we’re sure your dog will probably avoid ketchup packets in the future!


(Visited 2,444 times, 1 visits today)
Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. Licensed vets are available 24/7 to answer your questions. No need to worry about your furry family member.


Julie is a graduate of the University of North Carolina, Wilmington, where she studied Animal science. Though contrary to the opinion of her parents she was meant to study pharmacy, but she was in love with animals especially cats. Julie currently works in an animal research institute (NGO) in California and loves spending quality time with her little cat. She has the passion for making research about animals, how they survive, their way of life among others and publishes it. Julie is also happily married with two kids.

Keep Reading