My Dog Ate A Turkey Bone Will He Get Sick?
Don’t you just love the smell of a turkey cooking in the house? The scent of roasting turkey wafts from the kitchen, then eventually makes its way to the back of the house. There’s nothing better than the smell of a turkey roasting! Your dog thinks the same thing!
While you and your family enjoy the turkey, your dog may sneak off to the wastebasket in the kitchen. He’s looking to see if you’ve thrown any of the bones away, yet.
Are turkey bones safe for dogs?
Cooked Turkey Bones Can be Dangerous for DogsCheck Price on Amazon
Turkey bones, when cooked, become brittle and dry. This makes it much easier for them to splinter. On the other hand, a raw turkey bone is more pliable. There’s still a possibility it could cause a problem. But the real danger is with cooked turkey bones.
When a cooked turkey bone breaks, it has jagged, sharp ends. Even a small piece of bone that breaks off can be sharp and cause problems if ingested. If your dog eats the bone, the small pieces of sharp bone can cut and injury the inside of his digestive tract. They can also puncture any part of the digestive tract.
Other Problems Turkey Bones Can Cause
In addition to the sharp, jagged edges & digestive tract issues, turkey bones can also cause these issues:
- Broken, chipped teeth
- Mouth/tongue injuries
- Bones stuck in the esophagus (choking)
- Bones stuck in the stomach
- Rectal bleeding (possibly severe)
- Peritonitis (an infection of the abdomen after a puncture from something sharp in the dog’s gut)
What to Do If Your Dog Has Swallowed Cooke Turkey Bones
Be sure to watch for these symptoms if your dog has swallowed cooked turkey bones:
- Loss of appetite
- Abdominal pain & swelling
These could be signs that your dog has an intestinal blockage. If your dog is showing these symptoms, then call the vet immediately. This could be a life-threatening medical emergency.
If your dog has an intestinal blockage, then the vet may need to do surgery to remove it. The good news is that in most cases the dog will have a full recovery. Getting treated as soon as possible could save your dog’s life.