My Dog Ate Currants Will He Get Sick?
Currants are a favorite fruit for many people! They have a sweet-tart taste that really wakes up the tastebuds! Plus, they’re very healthy to eat.
But are currants safe for dogs? If your dog has eaten currants, you’ve come to the right place. We’ll take a quick look at this fruit and whether or not it’s harmful to your dog. Let’s get started!
What are Currants?
For the sake of clarification, we’re talking about the berries that are called currants, not the dried grapes. Currants are small berries that grow on shrubs. They come in different colors, including pink, white, black, and red. They have a sweet, tart flavor and are delicious eaten fresh. They’re also used in baking, processed into preserves, jams, and more.
Currants are a great source of vitamin C, iron, calcium, phosphorus, and more. They also contain high levels of antioxidants, making them a very healthy fruit for humans.
But are currants safe for dogs?
Currants & Dogs
Unfortunately, currants are highly toxic to dogs. The more currants a dog eats, the more toxic the fruit becomes. The problem with currants is that they can cause renal failure in dogs.
Symptoms of Currant Toxicity in Dogs
You may notice these symptoms if your dog has eaten currants:
- Increased thirst
- Reduced appetite
- Renal failure
- Weight loss
- Urinary tract problems
- Abdominal pain
- Lack of coordination
If your dog is showing any of these symptoms, call the vet immediately. This is a medical emergency.
Treatment of Currant Toxicity in Dogs
At the vet’s, they will perform a complete physical of your dog, which will include lab work. The vet may also do an ultrasound of the kidney to see if there are any signs of kidney failure.
The vet may then try to induce vomiting, which will clear the currants from the dog’s system. Another method the vet may use is activated charcoal. Sometimes, the vet may choose to treat currant toxicity in your dog by using fluid therapy, which is given through an IV.
In the event your fur baby has kidney failure, he will need to stay in the hospital for treatment. The time in hospital will depend on how badly the kidneys have been damaged by the currants.
If treatment has been successful, your fur baby will be able to come home when he’s stable. It may be necessary to visit the vet on a regular basis so your dog can be checked for signs of kidney problems.