Do you enjoy crafts and sewing? Do you work on quilts? If so, then you’ll need to be careful about where your sewing materials are located. If they’re where your dog can get them, they can pose a serious health threat, especial needles.
Why Would a Dog Eat a Needle?
Dogs are non-discerning when it comes to eating all types of foreign objects. However, they usually don’t eat the needle. Instead, they may accidentally swallow a piece of fabric that has a needle stuck in it. Or perhaps they decide that pincushion looks like a toy. They could play with the pin cushion, and then accidentally swallow a needle.
If a dog can gain access to something that looks like fun, they’ll do it. It may be your sewing, a book they saw you reading, a rock, a shoe, and more.
But if my dog swallows a needle, is it dangerous?
Yes and No
Sometimes a dog may swallow a needle, only to have the needle come out when they poop. Other times, the needle can become stuck in the dog’s mouth, throat, stomach, or intestines. These types of issues can quickly become medical emergencies that can threaten your dog’s life.
Needles are dangerous because they can puncture or tear small holes into the dog’s esophagus, stomach and intestines. This can lead to infections, blood loss, and more.
Symptoms After a Dog Has Swallowed a Needle
You may notice these symptoms of your dog has swallowed a needle:
- Choking (needle is caught in the mouth/esophagus)
- Gagging/coughing/dry heaves
- Vomit with blood
- Abdominal pain
- Lack of appetite
If you notice any of these symptoms, call the vet right away. This could be a life-threatening medical emergency.
My Dog Swallowed a Needle—What Should I Do?
Whether you know for sure or just suspect your dog has swallowed a needle, it’s time to call the vet. Don’t wait. Call the vet and ask for their advice.
Treatment of Needle Swallowed by Dog
The vet will probably ask that your fur baby be brought in to be checked. This is important. The vet will perform a complete physical exam, run lab work, and imaging tests (such as x-rays). The reason for the x-rays is so the vet can see where the needle is located inside your dog. Your dog may require surgery to remove the needle.
The key is to call the vet as soon as possible if you even suspect your dog has swallowed a needle. With prompt treatment, most dogs will go on to make a full recovery.