You may not realize it, but this is a very common question that many vets hear on a regular basis. People may not want to talk about these instances when their dog’s swallowed a ring because it’s embarrassing. But accidents to happen.
Dogs are also known for eating and swallowing all types of things including food or even foreign objects, such as a ring!
Dogs and Foreign Objects
Dogs and puppies explore the world with their mouths. They love to taste things, chew on items that have an interesting texture, and more. It can happen that once in a while a dog or puppy will swallow something that’s not a food item. The non-food item has a term—it’s called a foreign object.
The item gets this name because it is a non-food item that dogs normally don’t eat for nutrition. Foreign objects can include anything from parts of shoes, entire socks, acrylic nails, and yes, even rings. Foreign objects of any kind can be dangerous for dogs, with some even causing a life-threatening emergency such as a blocked intestine.
What to Do If Your Dog Swallows a Ring?
Once you’ve figured out your fur baby has swallowed the ring (or other foreign object), and it’s within 2 hours of when this happened, then it’s good to call the vet. They may ask you to bring the dog to their office, where they may induce vomiting (never do this at home, unless the vet recommends that you do so).
Some vets recommend feeding your dog a small meal and see if they will vomit up the food and the ring. The other idea is that by feeding your dog something soft, such as bread or canned pumpkin (avoid the type used for pie filling), these foods can coat the item and make it easy for your dog’s digestive tract to pass the ring out in poo.
One more option is that the vet may ask you to bring the dog to the office, where he can use an endoscope to remove the ring (as long as it’s within 2 hours of when the dog swallowed it).
After two hours, however, the ring has more than likely passed from the stomach and into the intestines. If the ring is small enough, it may pass through on its own; however, there’s also the danger that it could become lodged in the intestines and create an intestinal blockage.
In this case, you’ll need to call the vet immediately. This is a life-threatening emergency that requires prompt treatment. Your dog’s life depends on it.
So, if your fur baby has swallowed a ring, it’s probably best to call the vet. They’ll have the best advice and guidance on what you need to do next.
JulieJulie is a graduate of the University of North Carolina, Wilmington, where she studied Animal science. Though contrary to the opinion of her parents she was meant to study pharmacy, but she was in love with animals especially cats. Julie currently works in an animal research institute (NGO) in California and loves spending quality time with her little cat. She has the passion for making research about animals, how they survive, their way of life among others and publishes it. Julie is also happily married with two kids.
Review symptoms, medications & behavior to keep your pets healthy with a Vet Online in just minutes.Ask a Vet Live Now