Cotton candy is a popular candy that can be bought at the fair or the store. You can even buy special machines to make it at home! What’s not to like with cotton candy? For many, it’s their favorite treat of all! But what happens if a dog eats cotton candy?
Has your dog eaten cotton candy? Are you worried that the cotton candy will make your dog sick? If so, you’ve come to the right place. We understand it can be scary when your dog eats something like this.
We’ve gathered information about cotton candy and whether it can make a dog sick. Let’s get started!
What is Cotton Candy?
Cotton candy is that stuff that looks like floss or spun cotton! The candy is made with spun sugar that looks like cotton on a stick.
The candy is made by heating sugar and making it into a liquid, then spinning it in a centrifuge that contains small holes. The holes cause the cotton candy to cool rapidly and allow the liquid sugar to become solid once again.
While cotton candy is considered safe for humans (in moderation), what about dogs? Can cotton candy make a dog sick?
Cotton Candy & Dogs
Unfortunately, cotton candy can make a dog pretty sick. The problem is the ingredients that make cotton candy.
Cotton candy can include the following ingredients (though each brand may vary slightly):
- Spun sugar
- Xylitol (not in all cotton candy)
- Food coloring
These ingredients can be toxic to dogs. For instance, sugar can increase sugar levels in the blood and cause vomiting and breathing difficulties.
In addition, xylitol is highly toxic to dogs. Not all cotton candy contains this artificial sweetener. Xylitol, even in small amounts, can cause seizures, lethargy, and coma in dogs.
Food coloring may also contain ingredients that are harmful to our canine companions.
Having said all of that, if your dog happens to just lick some cotton candy, chances are he will be OK. However, if he eats a larger amount of this treat, he could become very sick.
Symptoms of Cotton Candy Ingestion in Dogs
You may notice these symptoms if your dog has eaten cotton candy:
- High blood sugar levels
- Loss of appetite
- Skin & gum discoloration
- Increased heart rate
- Excessive panting
- Muscle tremors
- Heart failure
- And more
If you notice any of these or other symptoms, call the vet immediately. This is an emergency.
Treatment of Cotton Candy Ingestion in Dogs
The vet may first try to induce vomiting or use activated charcoal. These methods are used to decontaminate your dog’s system. After this, the vet may give your fur baby an IV for fluids and to administer medications. They will then treat other symptoms as they arise.
The prognosis is best for dogs that receive prompt medical care after eating cotton candy. In the future, it’s best to keep cotton candy (and all candy) out of your dog’s reach. You’ll both be happier for it!