My Dog Ate a Washcloth What Should I Do?
Pet parents are caught off guard when they have a dog who eats anything and everything. There are some discerning dogs around, but chances are your own fur baby may eat weird, non-food items. We’re glad you’re here. We’ve put together some information to help you know what to do if your dog has eaten a washcloth.
Anything That’s Accessible is a Target—Including WashclothsCheck Price on Amazon
Some dogs just love to eat anything that grabs their fancy. We wonder about these strange habits, especially when it comes to inedible items such as a washcloth. Why on earth would a dog eat a washcloth?
If a washcloth is in a place that’s accessible to the dog, then this could make it a target. Maybe the dog just wants to play with it, or perhaps the washcloth fell on the floor and now it’s fair game. Another possibility is that the washcloth may smell like some yummy food to the dog.
What to Do If Your Dog’s Eaten a WashclothCheck Price on Amazon
First, don’t panic and don’t induce vomiting. Forcing your fur baby to vomit could lead to him choking on the washcloth as it comes back out. Instead, it’s best to call the vet and/or take your dog to the vet right away. If this happens in the middle of the night, then it’s a good idea to contact a 24-hour emergency care vet in your area.
The main concern here is that the washcloth could become stuck in your dog’s stomach, or it could pass through to his intestines. Either situation can be dangerous for your fur baby.
Some dogs may vomit the washcloth out on their own if the sock is still in the stomach. If this happens, then that’s good, but it’s still a good idea to call your vet. They may still want to see your dog to make sure everything’s OK.
If the washcloth doesn’t come back, then there’s a danger it can remain in your canine companion’s stomach. The washcloth could become stuck in the stomach for a long time. Or the washcloth could block the opening from the stomach to the intestines. This is a serious condition.
Another problem, if the sock doesn’t come up on its own, is that it could pass through into the intestines, become stuck, and cause an intestinal blockage. This is a serious condition that can lead to death if not treated quickly.
For these reasons, it’s always best to call the vet right away to ask their advice on how best to handle this situation.