Our shoes come with many different pieces that most of us don’t know the name of. And sometimes, a dog may get curious about any part of the shoe and try to chew or eat it! Teething puppies also look for anything hard to chew on, such as an aglet. But it can happen that a puppy or dog accidentally eats an aglet. But what happens if a dog eats an aglet?
Has your dog eaten an aglet? Are you worried the aglet could make your dog sick? If so, you’ve come to the right place. We understand it can be scary if your dog eats something like this.
We’ve gathered information about aglets and whether they can make a dog sick. Let’s get started!
What is an Aglet?
The big mystery is what an aglet is. That was a new one for us, and it was interesting to learn that an “aglet” is a piece of plastic or metal on the end of shoelaces! The aglet works to keep the shoelace from fraying at the ends.
However, aglets aren’t only found on shoes. They can be found on bags, clothing, and more that have a cord or drawstring closure.
Aglets also work to make it easier to hold and feed the cord, drawstring, or shoelace through fabric, eyelets, and more.
While aglets are useful and safe (when used as directed), what happens if a dog eats an aglet?
Aglets & Dogs
Small, plastic aglets (such as those found on shoelaces) are pretty harmless for your dog. They’re small and usually pass right through the dog’s digestive tract and out into his poop.
It is possible that the aglet could become stuck in the digestive system, but this is rare. In some cases, metal aglets have been known to puncture and cause tears in the intestines. Again, this is rare, but it could happen.
Symptoms of Aglet Ingestion in Dogs
You may notice these symptoms if your dog has eaten an aglet:
In some cases, it’s possible your dog won’t show any symptoms, especially if the aglet(s) was small and made of plastic. However, some dogs may have vomiting and diarrhea after eating an aglet.
If your dog eats aglets and they don’t come out in his poop (this can take a few days), or he’s showing other concerning symptoms, it’s best to call the vet right away. This could be an emergency.
Treatment of Aglet Ingestion in Dogs
Treatment depends on the vet’s diagnosis. If your dog has vomiting and diarrhea, the vet may give your fur baby medications to stop these symptoms. They may also suggest feeding your fur baby canned pumpkin (not the kind used to make pumpkin pie). The pumpkin is bulky and can help move the aglet out of your dog’s system. Eventually, the aglet should come out in your dog’s poop.
On the other hand, if your dog has other symptoms that indicate the aglets have damaged the intestines, your canine companion may need surgery. The vet can repair the damage and remove the aglets safely.
The prognosis is best for dogs who receive prompt treatment after eating aglets. In the future, it’s a good idea to keep all shoes and other items that have aglets, out of your dog’s reach. You’ll both be happier for it!