My Dog Ate Brillo What Should I Do?
Dogs have been known to eat all kinds of things, from rocks and bricks to plastic toys and more. And some dogs have even eaten Brillo pads!
Can Brillo pads make your dog sick? Can Brillo pads be toxic to your dog?
What are Brillo Pads?Check Price on Amazon
Brillo pads are a type of cleaning product made from steel wool, which has soap in it. It’s most often used for cleaning dishes but can also be used for many other cleaning jobs around the house. This is a product that had its start back in 1900 or so, in New York.
A jeweler named John Hilder Loeb was looking for a solution for cookware that had become blackened. He and his brother-in-law decided to try jeweler’s rouge, steel wool, and soap as a solution. The method worked, and they began to sell the product.
The first Brillo pads, with soap, then came out around 1930, and the rest is history. Many of us still keep these handy cleaners in the house today!
But what happens if your dog eats Brillo pads?
Brillo Pads & Dogs
Well, you can imagine that a dog eating one or more Brillo pads isn’t going to be a great story. The problem is caused by the steel wool and the soap in the pad. The steel wool can create something called an intestinal blockage, while the soap can make your dog’s stomach very upset.
If your dog has swallowed one or more Brillo pads, then it’s time to call the vet. This could be a medical emergency.Check Price on Amazon
Symptoms of a Bowel Obstruction in Dogs
You may notice these symptoms if your dog has eaten one or more Brillo pads:
- Abdominal pain/swelling
Treatment for Bowel Obstruction in Dogs After Ingesting Brillo Pads
At the vet’s, they will give your dog a complete physical exam, run lab work and take x-rays. The x-rays will be used to determine where the Brillo pads may be stuck in your fur baby’s digestive tract. From there, your dog will require surgery to safely remove the Brillo pads from his intestines.
The good news is that with prompt medical treatment, your fur baby should be back to normal in no time! The key is to get him medical care as soon as you realize he’s eaten Brillo pads.
To keep this from happening in the future, it’s highly recommended that all cleaning products be kept out of your dog’s reach. This can be challenging, but you may at least want to consider child locks for cabinets where these types of products are store. You and your canine companion will be much happier in the long run with this solution!