Watch batteries are a common item in many of our homes. Not only are these used for watches, but they’re also used for small medical devices, electronic thermometers, cameras, toys and much more.
And if they’re accessible, this could mean your dog could find the battery and decide to ingest it. We don’t understand why dogs eat such strange things. It’s a fact that if something is accessible, a dog may become curious, mistake it for food, etc. But are watch batteries dangerous if swallowed?
Watch Batteries are Dangerous for Dogs
Watch batteries are usually the type that have a disc, or rounded, shape. These can be extremely dangerous for a dog because if swallowed, these batteries can become stuck on the lining of the esophagus. This can be painful, but it can also cause other problems.
When the disc battery becomes stuck on the lining of the esophagus, it can begin burning a hole through the dog’s tissue. This is painful but can also cause saliva and stomach acid to come up. If there’s a hole in the tissue, the saliva, any food and stomach acid go through the hole, and into the tissues outside the esophagus.
What to Do if Your Dog Swallows a Watch Battery
If your fur baby has swallowed a watch battery, then call the vet right now. The sooner the battery is removed, the less damage it will cause.
A disc battery that’s caught in your dog’s throat may be removed through an endoscopic procedure. The vet will put an endoscope down the dog’s esophagus, and then find and remove the battery. The endoscope is a flexible scope, which has a type of clamp on the end, which can be used to remove foreign objects. Even if the battery’s in your dog’s stomach, it may be possible for the vet remove it with an endoscopic procedure.
If your dog has this type of procedure, then he will be anesthetized, and the vet will then be able to quickly remove the battery.
In other cases, the vet may need to perform surgery to remove the watch battery and repair any damage it may have done.
The chances for your dog to make a full recovery are high if he receives prompt treatment. The best way to avoid this issue is to make sure that all batteries are kept out of the reach of your dog.
JulieJulie is a graduate of the University of North Carolina, Wilmington, where she studied Animal science. Though contrary to the opinion of her parents she was meant to study pharmacy, but she was in love with animals especially cats. Julie currently works in an animal research institute (NGO) in California and loves spending quality time with her little cat. She has the passion for making research about animals, how they survive, their way of life among others and publishes it. Julie is also happily married with two kids.
Review symptoms, medications & behavior to keep your pets healthy with a Vet Online in just minutes.Ask a Vet Live Now