Do you have a backyard bird feeder? Then you may want to read this! There’s nothing more pleasing than seeing birds eating from your birdfeeder. You may see many different birds, some with brilliant colors and amazing feathers! Birdfeeders are very popular; however, what happens if a dog eats birdseed?
Has your dog eaten birdseed? Are you worried the birdseed will make him sick? If so, then you’ve come to the right place. We understand it can be scary when your dog eats something like this.
We’ve put together some information about birdseed and whether it can make a dog sick. Let’s get started!
What is Birdseed?
Birdseed is usually a mix of food that’s safe for domestic or wild birds to eat. The birdseed mix may include nuts, dried fruit, and various types of seeds. The seed can be bought at the store and used to feed outdoor birds.
Many people use bird feeders that are placed high off the ground. This keeps ground predators from attacking the birds. The only problem is that birdseed and bird poop usually fall to the ground underneath the feeder.
But is birdseed safe for dogs? What happens if a dog eats bird seeds off the ground or directly out of the package? Can birdseed make a dog sick?
Birdseed & Dogs
Unfortunately, birdseed and dogs aren’t a good mix. If your dog eats a few pieces of birdseed directly from the package, he should be OK. There’s nothing toxic in the birdseed. However, if he eats the seed off the ground, that could be a problem.
When the seed’s on the ground, it’s exposed to the elements. Rain, heat, sun, and quickly cause the birdseed to rot or even develop mold. Rotting and/or moldy seeds can make a dog very sick.
In addition, bird poop can carry bacteria, viruses, and other nasties that can make a dog sick.
If that’s not bad enough, birdseed can also cause an intestinal obstruction when a dog eats too much of it. Birdseed may also cause bloat (where the stomach or intestines become twisted) and more.
There are too many symptoms to list here; however, if you notice your dog eating birdseed off the ground (and it could be moldy), or if your dog has eaten a lot of dry birdseed, then we recommend calling the vet right away.
Your vet will provide the right advice for your dog’s situation. Just don’t wait until your dog has symptoms, as this could be too late. It’s always best to see the vet sooner rather than later!
KimKim is a talented author, who loves animals especially dogs. She engaged in writing books and articles relating to animals a decade ago. Kim resides in Chicago with her husband and son. The family is the proud owner of a dog and a parrot (Jack and Lily). Kim wanted more than these two pets, but her husband put his foot down... She often visits elementary schools to talk to the kids about what she learned about pets and how they could learn from them.
Review symptoms, medications & behavior to keep your pets healthy with a Vet Online in just minutes.Ask a Vet Live Now